• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2003 dodge ram 1500 hemi magnum 16 volt system

hey all,i might be buying this truck soon and was wondering about this 16 volt system with my davemade m800 amp and 5 optima batts that i have in my current car.my voltage in my car now reads at 14 1/2 volts from front batt with a 200 amp alt.

i don"t know the alt.size on this truck but it looks a little smaller then my 200,then again with technoligy now days the case size might not mean anything, i think.my amp does need a little more juice to it for it to work to its fullest potentall.

will everything be okay with my stuff installed in this truck?have to mention here that this hemi truck lives up to there commercials,wow,what a truck.

Your alternator is 136Amps. It will not run your M800. I wouldn't run the whole vehicle at high voltage anyway. You can fit an additional alternator right above the factory one.

thanks for the info 995.i bought the truck yesterday.i"ll have to check around for another identical alt.for it and start looking for some type of bracket.sure is going to be a job figuring out where to mount and run everything at.

i have a like brand new m400 also no doubt right that i"ll still have to have another alt with the batts that i have?i allways went with the permament mount for antennas but on this truck i"m going with a mag mount.

the ceiling fabric and all is to nice and tight for me to want to bore a hole in the roof and mess with that felt liner.those 3 mag type mounts i"ll be able to screw in my predator 10k right in it wouldn"t i?i know some people run an extra ground wire with there ant.

Try http://www.quickstartalternator.com/

they offer high amp replacements for factory alternators. THey use the factory mount, plugs, belt etc.

I'm looking at the 250 amp replacement for my factory Chevy alt. The only concern (question) that I have is would a dual rectifier increase the possibility/probability of noise.

There are definite advantages in going with a second alternator vs a replacing the factory with a larger one.

You can mount the second alternator above, and to the passenger side of the first. There's a lot of room there. You will have to fab brackets, but I have seen it done and it didn't look too difficult. I think If I remember correctly, someone had some nice pics on Cbretards.com.

You can either align the pully with the rest of the engines pulleys and run it from the serp belt, or, you can put a single groove pulley on the new alt and buy a combo pulley from Kilby. The part number for yours would be #061-004B. The Kilby pully will replace the original pulley on the factory alt, and allow you to piggy back the second alt with a v belt. The second option is how I would do it.

061-004_tn.jpg

I just read this post again, and I guess I missed what you were saying the first time about the mount. I just finished my mount today. You'd be very surprised how easy the interior comes apart on these trucks. It was't bad AT ALL. I took every thing out down to the bare steel chassis...installed my mount, fiberglass reinforced the roof, ran all my cables (power and coax) and had it all back in in under eight hours. Nothing wrong with the big magnet mounts...but I do love my hard mounted antennas when done right!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.