• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2005 sterling semi truck

frogman296

Aug 18, 2006
NB canada
hey there guys i wasnt real sure where to put this post...

my buddy has a 2005 sterling semi truck ... with a cobra 29 installed from the factory .. he has never had any recieve much .. just a whole lot of noise...until its turned off...

he can transmit very well .. i can vouch for that as i hear him everywhere on my base station..

today he installed 18 feet of coax and a wilson 2000 trucker.. said he still has alot of noise... he had the truck to the local electonics shop and had the swr set he said...

he has follwed my instrucions on grounding everthing well .. radio to the battery posts and all the regular jazz...

what else can this guy do ..

These new tractors can be tough for noise problems ! Is there any way your bud can run a Wilson 1000 mag mount ? If the fairings don't interfere with it , the Wilson solves alot of noise problems. Please let us know what cures you find for this . We run several different brands of tractors & this is always a problem. I have tried graphite in the front wheel bearings , also using static ground strips ( they can be purchased at auto parts stores like Nap*) Let us know , YOU ARE NOT ALONE !

well since posting i have been told by some other fellas that basically every accesory on the engine whould be grounded very well to the engine and such ... and ofcourse everything to the frame....im not sure about the wilson because i would imagine there is alot of fibreglass on the body/cab

Well this is true ....if the top of the cab is not steel the antenna mag mount won't stay. I imagine you have tried the filters, GOOD coax, etc.

From the sound of it it isn't the antenna he has to worry about, but the noisy electrical systems in the truck. Unless you/he is willing to do a lot of work with noise suppression, distance is the 'best' cure, get the radio and antenna further away from the noise. And considering the problems with that... start on the noise suppression thingys (kind'a hard to get further away from the truck's noise if you gotta be in the truck, you know?)!
- 'Doc

well by unhookin the antenna the noise is zero.. so .. the next thing im gonna get him to try is grounding all accesories on the motor really well to the motor... with some good straping.. and go from there i guess..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.