• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

28 volts pills

I kinda thought that's what you were thinking. However, the LID reference in my username is a radio thing.
A " Lid"
I like this one.
The story that most often makes the rounds in amateur radio circles is that some telegraphers used the lid of a Prince Albert tobacco can to better hear the sounder. These fellows were, in general, poor operators, and “lid” became the designation of any poor operator.
[Quote/]

Jeff

Reactions: Naysayer
OK back on topic,
The price was the deciding factor why on why I went with HG. A few months prior to buying the HG I got burned on 2 MRF422's that were fake. I was unaware there were reports of performance differences between the brands.

One thing I find puzzling is how to measure the Emitter-Base voltage to ascertain the 3v spec from datasheet. I'll supply .6v to Base which seems straightforward.

I began to assemble the micas and vari-ceramic caps for tuning and concluding that I need a VNA to finish it. There's always something else to learn and acquire it seems, work table getting crowded. Any suggestions on VNA? Can't spend a lot but I see they can be had on ebay for as low as $60.

OK back on topic,
The price was the deciding factor why on why I went with HG. A few months prior to buying the HG I got burned on 2 MRF422's that were fake. I was unaware there were reports of performance differences between the brands.

One thing I find puzzling is how to measure the Emitter-Base voltage to ascertain the 3v spec from datasheet. I'll supply .6v to Base which seems straightforward.

I began to assemble the micas and vari-ceramic caps for tuning and concluding that I need a VNA to finish it. There's always something else to learn and acquire it seems, work table getting crowded. Any suggestions on VNA? Can't spend a lot but I see they can be had on ebay for as low as $60.
I bought a VNA (SAA-2N) from R&L and found out that it is a cheap knock off with hacked firmware, made to appear as if it is real that does not perform as the official model does. Stick with the official units for performance and firmware updates.

A " Lid"
I like this one.
I like this one more.

One explanation was that when a relay office Telegrapher couldn’t handle the work on the wire he was assigned to, he was “lifted” off the job and reassigned or let go. In telegrapher parlance, when discussing such events over the wires, other operators shortened the word ” lifted” to ” li’d”. Over time a poor or incapable operator that had been or was about to be “lifted” became known as a “LID”

I never knew what a lid was, I always asked for elbows!

I have the NanoVNA-F v2.2 by BH5HNU. I have not seen a firmware update in a while, and although the latest firmware is still just 101 points (which is more than enough if used properly and can be extended with PC software), it has a metal enclosure, it does port extensions (electrical delay) for moving the measurement plane down the coax, it has a TDR function (impulse and step transforms), and is in good agreement with my SVA1032x (which was $3,800 with the cal kit). I paid $110 for this nano.

I never knew what a lid was, I always asked for elbows!

I have the NanoVNA-F v2.2 by BH5HNU. I have not seen a firmware update in a while, and although the latest firmware is still just 101 points (which is more than enough if used properly and can be extended with PC software), it has a metal enclosure, it does port extensions (electrical delay) for moving the measurement plane down the coax, it has a TDR function (impulse and step transforms), and is in good agreement with my SVA1032x (which was $3,800 with the cal kit). I paid $110 for this nano.
I was caught off guard, when I tried to update the firmware in my SAA-2N from R&L. Long story short, I posted in the NanoVNA forum and was informed I had an un-official clone, with hacked firmware, made to appear official. This was in fact true, I felt I was ripped off. I use the thing as an antenna analyzer and nothing else now. I have other VNA's that I will use for S Parameter stuff. The dynamic range of this VNA sucks so bad, I can't tune a notch filter.

I was caught off guard, when I tried to update the firmware in my SAA-2N from R&L. Long story short, I posted in the NanoVNA forum and was informed I had an un-official clone, with hacked firmware, made to appear official. This was in fact true, I felt I was ripped off. I use the thing as an antenna analyzer and nothing else now. I have other VNA's that I will use for S Parameter stuff. The dynamic range of this VNA sucks so bad, I can't tune a notch filter.
That sucks, can you return it? I know mine is also an "unofficial" variant, but I think they have permission to be making it. This one has a dynamic range of 90dB through 6m. I didn't check higher because I didn't want to change my settings and recalibrate, but I'm sure its less at UHF...

Testing Bias circuit.
Had to change TO-220 regulator to metal can style TO-3, 5A due to excessive heat (LT1003). Mounted on outside with socket. TO-220 Regulator got too hot, too fast.

The MC78T15 regulator (dropping 30-15v) does not even get warm which I thought odd given how hot the LD1086-1.8v got.

The 10ohm 1/4W resistors from Base to Ground (some call "smoke resistors") I'm using as R2 in the voltage divider: Increased to 20 ohm .5W.
Waiting for parts again,
neil

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.