• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2950 audio problem

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Ok heres the deal I have a 2950 chassis radio that if the run with the variable power turned down low iot sounds distorted and $h!++y but when power is turned up to high it sounds great. I also see this when messiing with the high and low power settings in the radio so basically its balls to the wall or nothing but distotion sounding audio. Any ideas??

What mode? AM? SSB? FM? All of them?

How old is this 2950?

What has been done to it vs stock?

If I remeber correctly it does it on all bands its a late 90s mirage 2950EX Clarifiers opened and frequency mods done thats it I had this since new and it use to work great. the lower the power the crappier it sounds.

Most likely had the super whack and tune.

Check (and replace as required) q32, R281,178,194, anything else that is cut or missing with oem values. Retune tx, set AMC to your liking, or 95% with npc/ppe. How low can you actually turn it down too? At what level does it go away?

Vince

no mods of that sort done i do my own radios and dont believe in that BS of cutting or clipping anything these radios do great the way they are without ripping parts out of them. As I said it worked great for many years just seen better days I guess.

specifically: what is the carrier power with the control turned down completely? What is the PEP? How 'bout with it turned up? At what power level does it clear up? Just trying to get an idea of what's going on here...

ok the high power is at 30 - 35 and low is 10 - 12 watts it just seems weird whats going on. I may try a few things tonight if I cant figure it out IOll send it out to a more qulified person with this Chassis radio like freecell or dtb.

What is the carrier power on low, when you're seeing 10-12 watts PEP? Can you hear the distortion on a monitor radio in your shack (sometimes it's helpful to plug some headphones into another rig and listen)? It would also help to confirm that it indeed distorts on all modes - ssb/am/fm; and only at low power.

Ok update.....Upon messing with it again tonight I noticed that touching the back of the chassis or parts of the board when transmitting clears the problem right up once i let go theres the distortion again. I even waved my hand over the board and could here differences in the audio so without actually touching anything the audio would switch around on how it sounded through the monitor radios receive just by waving my hand over the board but the huge difference was in actually touching it when transmitting as I8 said that clears it right up crystal clear. I noticed a humming in the transmitting aswell until touching the board could this be a bad cap?? or a ground problem??

It may be a grounding problem...

Have you tested this with the covers both off and on? Try it into a dummy load and see if problem still exists. If not, then I would look into the rest of the system (antennas, coax, etc.) If problem still occurs, with covers on, into a dummy load, then the radio probably needs expert attention.

You could try heating up and re-wetting the ground solder connections. Just give them enough heat to make them flow again and back off.

So you can wave your hand around the case/heatsink/coax area and make the symptoms change? It's either grounding or you're getting RF into the radio. I'd check the coax first off. Your signal should not be affected at all by your body or any of its component parts being close to it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.