• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2970dx ?

J

JustinDePolis2

Don't recommend doing this in this radio, you will see mre power, but do you know the difference between 110 watts and 150 watts on the "other" guy's end? A very small fraction of an "S" unit.

Click Here To Go To FG Best Communications

bot452026.gif
</p>

Also, nomad, one other thing, if TR-32 is removed the ALC will no longer function, thus; the variable power on the front will no longer operate on SSB as well.And as far as to why it won't make a difference:

*TRUTH OF REALITY*

A: 1 "S" unit = an increase of 6db

B: 3db = doubling your TX power (ie. 300 watts to 600 watts)

C: To go up 6db, or 1 "S" unit you have to multiply your transmitter power by 4. (ie 1000 watts to 4000 watts, not worth the trouble is it?)

*CB Wishful Thinking*

A: If I double my power it will double my distance.

B: If the wattmeter shows 40 more watts, I must get out better. (totally disregarding the fact that an intelligible signal can make it there better at a lower power level than a distorted one of greater amplitude)

C: I only use RMS watts to read my station, not fake peak watts. (do the people that say this even know what RMS stands for?)

bot452026.gif
</p>

Also, laguna, people also seem ot think that a wattmeter is the only one instrument to measure a radio's performance. I challenge anyone to name one other electronic or mechanical device that you use only one device to measure it's performance.

bot452026.gif
</p>

I just recieved a new 2970. I installed the module and turned up the modulation just a fuzz under max. It was peaking about 110 watts before the audio increase and now about 155 watts. Thats Great!

I'm only seeing 110 watts peak on ssb? Now this is my question,,,correct me if I'm wrong but the reason I'm not seeing equal or more peak watts on ssb is because of the SSB limit (ALC)?? Could I safely increase the limit enough to see the equal wattage and not cause clipping ect?? I dont have a scope nor access to one so I dont think (right now) I should touch it. To be honest I was kinda figuring it would do atleast 175 on ssb considering the devices used? Lay it on the line for me,,,Rooster

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.