• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2990 upgrade.

990nj

Jul 29, 2008
I have a rci 2990 not the dx version the older 2990, I was wondering if it's possible to beefen up the power supply and upgrade the finals safely. Has anyone heard of this being done with positive results?

I'm sure it's possible, but I don't know that I've heard of anyone doing it. I know there used to be some techs around that could do pretty good work with the rf output, but the problem is the supply. Realisticly, I'm not sure it would be worth the cost of doing it.

hi there,I'm buying a 2990 from a friend in the next few days,and he has upgraded it.he's always working on radios as a second job,when I get it,i'll let you know what he did,you can pm me for more info if you want his email,i'm sure he'ld be able to tell you more than me,,,,good luck,steve,oh,,,,how do you find the 2990?just curious,as i'm getting one,lol,,,i have a file here too that is 14 minutes long he sent me of what it does,how it works,etc

I would leave the 2290's alone and just make sure the power supply had the proper up-grades since that was the week link. Next up would be a correct peak, tune, and alignment. Once you have that all done leave it alone and have fun. The 2990 is a hot rod radio, don't try to make it into a top fuel dragster.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.