• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

4 tube amp questions

coyotekid28

Jun 17, 2013
I have a thunderbolt 305 4 tube amp 1 6lq6 driving 3 6lq6's wandering about what I should expect from it. It has new tubes transformers caps etc etc looks immaculate anyways 73s for now thanks for any input

what kind of meters lol I only have lying dosy's for a reference haven't gotten the quality bird equipment yet thanks for the input

I believe 80w per tube is all you should run 6lq6's. Can you post pics of the board side of that amp? I have a Rangemaster 500 that I believe is just a rebranded Thunderbolt. When I bought a lot of 3 amps, I didn't notice some wires were chewed through when I looked on the underside.

Remember that the 6lq6 was designed to be used as a TV sweep tube and not in RF amps. My generation started using them in cheapo CB and 10 meter amps. Even when we ran three 6lq6's to only 100 watts out on AM, they didn't last long. But they were only $4 at Radio Shack to replace back then. Being a tube that hasn't been in production for thirty+ years they will only get more expensive. I think they're selling for more that 811A's now.

I think they're selling for more than 811 A's now.

Some sweep tubes are selling for more than 572b`s, we used to get 6LF6`s for about $8 at Thrifty drug stores back in the day.
It is not going to get any better.
I suggest you baby the Amp if you want to keep it running.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.