• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

40 channel or ssb/ antenna choices

E

EFoltyn

As can be seen from my earlier post, I've been away from CB for many years. Now that I'm trying to get back into the hobby, I'm torn between some of the new technology. I would like the ability to go with SSB for clarity and quietness, however, I don't know much about the various systems except for what I've read on the net.

A local shop has several Uniden Grants (I'm not sure right now whether they are the LT or XL), Texas Ranger 2696 and Texas Ranger 696. From what I've been able to gather, the Grant and the 296 are both based on the Cobra 148. Other than the frequency meter, does the 696f have any advantages over the Grant or 296?

My other question is on antennas. I have a Jeep Liberty and will probably go with a magnetic mount. Again the dealer carries both K40 and Wilson 1000. Does either one have any significant advantages , or are there other choices that I should consider?

Thanks for the help and I look forward to your responses.

EFoltyn

</p>

The Uniden Grant is probably the best built "CB" chassis on the market right now. Uniden has stopped production of them but there are still a few to be had new. They are awesome AM talkers and very good to excellent on SSB, modified for extra channel very easily, and just an all around tough radio. As far as the antenna goes, remember this, the longer the antenna the less loading it takes to make it resonant, therefore you will get more signal out to the air. The Wilson 1000 is quite a bit longer than the K40 so there is less loading to make it match your radio. You will not be disapointed in the combo of the Grant and the 1000. Just tune your antenna to the lowest SWR possible and start ratchet jawin'.

Hope this helps

fasteddy

High Country DX, HF Specailist. Del Norte, CO
contact me at pe765@aol.com
mid79290big.jpg
</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.