• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6 meter yagi

Joseph

Dec 16, 2008
During a one week shut down at work, I decided to build a 6 element, 6 meter yagi.

My wife was nice enough to buy me a antennas anlyzer (mfj 259b) for Christmas , so after the holidays I will ajust it and put it up in a near by tree.

The tree is about 40 feet tall and should work out nice.

I have a good antenna rotator to go with it and I'll pot a picture as soon as I get it up in the tree.

The plans for the antenna come from (the beam antenna handbook~ William Orr )

ps ...my 6 meter rig is a Ranger.

..Joe

Nice to someone getting on 6m.It is a great band when it is open. i also made a six element 6m yagi a few years ago from an old Wilson Shooting Star CB antenna.It sits at 42 feet and works like a charm. I forget where I got the plans from but it is rather unusual in that the driver and 1'st director are only about 16 inches apart and the driver element is split and is balanced fed thru a 4:1 coaxial balun. It was based on a design that was optimised for max forward gain and F/B ratio and sacrificed bandwidth as a result. Bandwidth is not an issue for me as I do no 6m FM work and pretty much stay in the bottom 500 KHz of the band.

unless you're way up in the FM part of the band..... why don't you consider turning it 90 degrees and go to horiz polorization?

i have a 6 element homemade cubicial quad (fed from a bottom corner)that works great, it has a much better sig/noise ratio than any YAGI i have ever had.
jim in EL86wx

I don't have it anymore.

I need to figure out a solenoid or another way to rotate a yagi 90 degrees.

Then I'll make a dual band.

I need to figure out a solenoid or another way to rotate a yagi 90 degrees.

just add elements @90 degrees and feed them with a seperate feed line (this is basically 2 antennas on one boom)

or add a second rotor to just rotate the boom 90 degrees as done with EME type arrays.

6 meterYagi

(y) Well There are a lot of things too consider what do you expect From it do you live in a Crowded 6 meter area , if you do an antenna with a better f/b ratio is Prefered cause if you Have Big Guns around you're gonna hear them alot weather you want too or not . My 7 element is on a 20' boom 35db f/b 14dbd & I have personally built 6 different Designs & nothing more than 24' booms But the nbs designs .15 =36 inch spacing, or .20 =47 1/8 inch spacing is very good & 1 other thing if you're gonna put a Gamma Match on it DON'T use the Hair pin Match or the T-mach better Balanced & the power handling is much Better , I Burt up My 1st. Gamma Match With 2 /3-500z's@3600 volts it got HOT ! Real HOT! so just in case you were thing along that line Thought I would save you some trouble 73's & Good LUCK!! :cool:

I have to agree about the use of a balanced matching system. I used a beta,or hairpin, match with a 4:1 coaxial balun at the feedpoint.

4:1 coax balun design.

The F/B ratio is incredible on my antenna. On FM I can take a 20/9 signal and drop it to less than S-1. Not sure how many dB's that is because of the lack of ALC on FM mode but it's still pretty impressive. On SSB I can completely null out any signal that is S-9 or weaker.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.