• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6 meters dead in ca.

CDX1220

Apr 2, 2005
california
would like to know does anyone run 6 meters in ca,i here nothing at all,please let me know what freq. and the times its open. thanks. Don ki6adr

6m is pretty dead no matter where you are right now.There are a few openings now and then however.Good freq. to listen on is 50.125 USB the DX call freq.As for when it is open only Mother Nature can tell you that.It generally opens up from June to early Sept. and then again mid-late Dec.It could however open at any time for minutes or hours.Propagation on 6m depends on so many things.A good solar flare may open the band for a day or two when it would otherwise be dead.

i just saw the same posting on eham, and as someone responded. 6mtrs. is never dead it depends on what type of ants. your using, how high and location. i monitor it daily (50.125, 50.200) as the responder stated try tuning in 5khz steps from call freq. to 50.300 most round tables won't be heard on the dx calling freq. which is true since i started doing this i seem to make a lot more contacts when the band is "dead" . i only have a par oa-50 up at 25 ft. after i get a new rotor then i will put up my home brew 4L beam 40ft. tune around and throw your call sign outa few times you may be suprised how many people are "sandbaggin" good luck 73

It depends on your set up. If all you have is a ¼ wave ground plane then you’re going to think the band is dead most of the time. If you got a beam, a preamp and some pwr, then the band is always open to somewhere. From San Diego I can work SSB to LV, central and northern CA most days or nights.

Check out http://www.wswss.org for 6 meter nets. You should be able to get them from Hemet.

hey skip talker thanks for the info this club is based about 10 miles from me .so i should be able to hear them.and turn out aa6dd wil,is a friend that i forgot about he runs the net on 50.400 mhz,am. he lives about 15 minutes from me also. that was a good info site for me.i need to get a beam. thank again .p.s. thanks to all that post. :D

I guess it all depends where you live.California and the southern tier states may have some 6m activity alot but up here on the east coast of Canada the band is DEAD most of the time except for the summer months and when there are solar flares and auroura.I'm using a six element beam fed with Andrews half inch LDF-4A heliax cable and there just are not any signals to hear.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.