• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6m on my Windom

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
I have shared before that I made a homebrew Windom to use for HF. I made my antenna after this design Windom off center fed using coax as a feedline.I then used a homebrew Balun after this model BUILD AN AIR WOUND 1:1 CHOKE BALUN FOR HF - THE UGLY BALUN!
. It works great on HF . Well last night I was doing some reading and found others were saying they can use the same antenna for 6m . So today I hooked up my 6m radio and sure enough I could work with it ! I noticed the SWR was flat around 52 or so mhz . I called a friend that makes roller inductor tuners and he told me to come over. He gave me 3 to try out and see which one I wanted . As soon as I got home I put one on and began to tune and it tuned right up real nice ! That really encouraged me as I have just moved to a new location and no longer have an attic for my antenna farm :). It was great to know that I could use that same antenna for 6m . And to top it off there was some good in and out traffic on 6 this evening . Canada was coming in as well as other places. So now all I have to do is get my 2m situated and I'm ready for some winter fun ! If you haven't tried it , 2m ssb is great ! I have made some great contacts of 200-300 miles on 10 watts on 2m ssb .

Sweet! My homebrew W5GI antenna loads up on 6 pretty nice, I just never think to tune around there. The first time I did, I made 3 or 4 contacts in neighboring states, so I need to make a point of checking more often.

Have you tried 60M yet? My MFJ 969 tuner tunes this band on my antenna, but it isn't great. Nonetheless, it seems alot like 40 meters---guys in several different states, with everybody able to hear everybody! Channel 4 seems to be the most popular so far.

Jump right in. I've encountered nothing but polite, friendly people there. A lot more like 40 than 80 in that respect! (y)

50 watts ERP max, USB voice only. The only phone-only ham band, I believe.

I did it ! Man that is a nice band. Quiet and friendly ! My first contact was N3BPM who is about 150 miles from me in Maryland and then KA2ILJ called for me from near Cooperstown , NY which is 160 miles from me. 2 other gentlemen came in from Pa that were both around 160 miles from me. This was all on channel 4. Man this is great ! Thanks for the encouragement !:)(y)

I have occasionally heard what I assume are the primary licensees on the band from time to time running some kind of data mode. I don't think they are aware of our presence. (Which is probably how it should be, given that hams are secondary users of the band.)

When it happens, another channel can usually be found that is not in use.

I have occasionally heard what I assume are the primary licensees on the band from time to time running some kind of data mode. I don't think they are aware of our presence. (Which is probably how it should be, given that hams are secondary users of the band.)

When it happens, another channel can usually be found that is not in use.

I have heard the data noise sitting here listening but it is faint .

60 is unbelievable. I was hearing KH6MB from Waimanalo, HI ! He heard me but did not make out my call. Then some others started calling him . He is on channel 4 right now-5371.5 .

It'll Work Great When its Open But For Weak Signal Work, Resonant Beam IS THE ONLY WAY FOR ME 47 states & 30 Countries 300 watts or less mostly 100 watts on My Own Design & Built Antenna's

I made contact to several states from the east coast out to Nevada at my old house on a hamstick dipole in the attic. It was mounted horizontal on remote tripod . It was nice as I could turn it any direction to bring the signals in. I even got Newfoundland and Canada on it. All on 25w .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.