• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

7' Skipshooter...tunes low.

2NC995

DAN
Feb 23, 2008
Coastal NC
With my Texas missing the upper whip I've been running a 7' shipshooter...but with even with the nail removed it seems to tune to around 26.5

The only thing I can think of is trimming the ferrule at the top down. Not terribly worried about it, but I would be happier if I could get it closer.

Does anyone happen to know of an easy solution?

What is it mounted on and where? Maybe not enough counter poise.

Puck on the roof of Dodge 2500. None of my other antennas have required trimming.

Not really a big deal....I'm not running anything on the verge of destruction and temporary until I find the right whip for my preferred antenna.

Mostly just curious if anyone has run into this, or maybe shortened one for 10M.

Puck on the roof of Dodge 2500. None of my other antennas have required trimming.

Not really a big deal....I'm not running anything on the verge of destruction and temporary until I find the right whip for my preferred antenna.

Mostly just curious if anyone has run into this, or maybe shortened one for 10M.

Thats strange. I have ran 6 and 7 foot skipshooter antennas and predator 10k's on my 2002 2500 ext cab with puck mount.

Just a guess, but did you put it dead center of the roof? Mine is back as far as possible.

Reactions: 2NC995
Thats strange. I have ran 6 and 7 foot skipshooter antennas and predator 10k's on my 2002 2500 ext cab with puck mount.

Just a guess, but did you put it dead center of the roof? Mine is back as far as possible.

No, towards the back...also a quad cab.

The Texas actually tuned a little short for the reg 40, but perfect for where I run it with no adjustments at all. My 10k tunes the same as my other pickup it's been on for a decade or so.

One thing for sure, the Skipshooter seems to be a good performing antenna. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the weight/stiffness. Never did much with fiberglass antennas...glad I tried this one.

If you can still access the bottom side of the puck you could try a small value cap across the feed point or in series with the center conductor. Maybe 20pf and see what direction the swr goes.

Ugh. Don’t even want to think about that. Next time I access the puck I’ll be cutting a hole in the headliner :)

Another possibility option would be an adjustable shunt from the base of the antenna grounded to the puck.

The reason I mentioned the counterpoise deal was a friend's van. He had one of the big Sprinters and mounted a Wilson 1000 (or similar) to the roof. With the stinger all the way out the swr was flat at 29.000.

He wanted a direction setup and had already drilled 2 holes. We put the other antenna on the back and grounded it. This made the swr come down and he was happy.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.