• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

858SSb base fan install (the right way)

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
[This modification applies to the Uniden 858SSb chassis (PC196BD board), and any other rig with a T/R relay. On sets with electronic switching, it can be made to work with some minor circuit changes.] - 399

Modifying a CB radio to increase its output causes the hi-current devices (supply pass transistor, driver, final, audio amp) to generate more heat. Adding additional heat sinks will help, but the ambient temp in the cabinet still goes up, keeping the devices hotter. Adding a cooling fan is the best way to reduce the ambient temp.

The drawbacks are that the fan can generate a high- pitched whine in receive, and the whirring noise from the fan can be heard in your transmit audio.

On my 139XLR, I wired a small choke to and put a ferrite bead on the fan’s positive lead and connected it directly to the supply B+ output. This eliminated the whine in receive. To remove the noise in transmit, I used the rig’s keying circuit to shut down the fan when transmitting. All this required was a small SPST relay and some lead wire. Refer to the diagrams below:

fan relay.png

fan relay hookup.png

I connected the small relay’s coil in parallel with the rig’s T/R relay coil, and connected the fan to ground thru the small relay’s Common and NC pins.

When the rig is keyed up, both the T/R and fan relay fire simultaneously. This disconnects the fan from ground, shutting it down while transmitting. Unkey, and the fan starts up again.

Simple and effective.

Attachments

• fan relay.png
    fan relay.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.