• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

97 Toyota 4runner install

The cover is a three section soft cover that folds up. I got it thru the Toyota dealer.

BTziprail.jpg

Depending on how it attaches to the bedrail, could you have a bracket that mount to inside of the bedrail, comes across the top flush, then rises and 90s over for an antenna mount. The antenna and coax would be sticking out past the edge of the bed, though. But access to the bed wouldn't be restricted when folding back the bed cover. Just a thought.

Depending on how it attaches to the bedrail, could you have a bracket that mount to inside of the bedrail, comes across the top flush, then rises and 90s over for an antenna mount. The antenna and coax would be sticking out past the edge of the bed, though. But access to the bed wouldn't be restricted when folding back the bed cover. Just a thought.

I thought about something like that as well but think the tailgate latch is the best idea. No issues with water getting under the seal of the cover that way. Most of the time it wouldn't matter but when the camping gear gets thrown in the back the last thing you want when arriving is a soaked sleeping bag. :cry:

I'd be out with the drill and mounting it on the cab roof if I had one of those. Any reason not to?

I'd be out with the drill and mounting it on the cab roof if I had one of those. Any reason not to?

The large power moon roof takes up most of the roof and there are clearence issues with jyst the VHF/UHF antenna in some places. Besides that the 10 foot HF antenna would be a bitch to mount on the roof all others things besides. :laugh:

Still have clearance issues. The dual band antenna is about 40 inches high and stiff. Again also with the moon roof and overhead console in the very front there is no room even if clearance was not an issue. I have spent a lot of time thinking this thru and about the only place is the tailgate latch area. Well that is without punching a hole thru the rear quarter panel that is........No I am not doing that on that truck. WAAAAAY too much money at stake to go punching a large hole there.

Front fender/hood mounted? About the same height as the rear mount, but you could get further away from the corner with it. I'm working a mount like this for my little car right now. Looking for the right radio for my needs and size as well as putting the engine back in it after a rebuild.

Still need a place to mount the HF antenna. To be honest too I never did like the look of a front fender or hood mount. Yeah I am a bit picky but I am what I am. I take a bit of pride in my vehicle too. It's the nicest one I have ever owned and the most expensive thing I have ever owned besides the house so I'm not punching holes anywhere.

Must admit the fender/hood solution isn't my favourite either. OK if you're in the outback in Oz or on the African plains and doing proper offroading but for driving down the highway it just looks daft.

Must admit the fender/hood solution isn't my favourite either. OK if you're in the outback in Oz or on the African plains and doing proper offroading but for driving down the highway it just looks daft.

On this we definitely see eye to eye. ;) The antenna doesn't look so bad on the hood or fender when the spare tire is on the hood as well. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.