• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A comment for ORN the mystery man.

Marconi

Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.
Oct 23, 2005
Houston
I have to laugh at myself for the way I butched up you name for so long missing the "Q" as it was.

I want to thank you for a statements you made to me some time ago. It was for me, profound and I had never thouhgt of things in that way, the way you put light on it so clearly. You know it is often those kinds of things that put all new meaning to our understanding and I believe they should be lauded. This is the best I can do for now, but Thanks!

The comments:
The impedance of a 1/4 wave vertical will be approx. 35 ohms OVER PERFECTLY CONDUCTING GROUND.In a mobile setup it is possible and probable to have 10-20 ohms of ground losses regardless of how well body panels are bonded etc.The ground losses add to the radiation impedance of the antenna itself and work out to be near 50 ohms.I haev to laugh when some hams use a ground mounted vertical and start adding ground radials until the SWR dips to 1.0:1.If they added more radials then the SWR would go up to near 1.5:1 but the efficiency and thus signal output would increase.

Mystery man?? Since when did I start wearing a mask? LOL.Yeah I often noticed the referance to "ORN" instead of "QRN" a lot of times but WTH. In short,Marconi you are quite welcome for any help I may have been able to offer in your quest to better understand some things especially that antenna business we discussed. I have been in the commercial broadcast business as a station engineer for an AM/FM network for 22 years and have had the opourtunity to play with a few things most will never get the chance to and as a result I have been able to find fact with some theory on several occasions and honestly,sometimes it confused me too. Glad I could help and good work in your experiments.Sometimes we just have to see it for ourselves before we can understand it. ;)

Yep and sometimes I think I can understand something but just can't see it, and that is bad. Thanks.

I noticed you answered my comments about your remark to the other guy, you know where. I wanted to see how he responded to your sage remarks. I think he may know his business, but maybe he missed the point a bit. I beleive he has a reputation of tearing down most remarks, so I was suprised that is all that he had to say about yours. So your remarks still stand in good stead and my confidence is restored and you were right the discussion was about a full 1/4 radiator.

Thanks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.