• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

a few newbie questions

B

bigjake34452

hello everyone i am new to this forum and to cb radios. i have used them alot but never got into the workings of them. here is the deal. i have 2 cb's. both uniden one a pc66xl and the other a pc76xl. i was wondering if you guys would know why the 76 does not come in as clear as the 66, i can hear MUCH more with the 66. i looked inside the radio's and they have both been clipped so i have no idea what else was done to them. is there a way to find out why its doing this? thanks, jake. :colshd :usa:

the short answer is, it depends...

there are too many variables to give you any kind of answer besides, "send it to a good shop".

see, if the radios are old, thats one set of problems.

if they are both relatively new, thats another set.

also, you dont mention anything about how you tested the radios, how they are set up, what antenna you are using, etc...

the weak radio may just need an alignment, or it might have one or more blown parts inside.

one thing to check before you go any further, is if you had the RF gain turned down on one of the radios.

RF gain is the receiver's gain, and turning it down desensitizes the receiver.
99% of the time, this control is left at maximum. (clockwise)
if you are driving down the road and you notice a signal pegging the meter on your radio, you might want to turn the RF gain down a bit to avoid overloading your receiver.

so, first make sure the RF gain is all the way up on both radios, then give as many details as you can about your situation.

if the problem is inside the radio, most likely you wont have the skill or tools needed to fix it, so a shop is a good way to go.
there are quite a few owners of good cb shops right here on this forum.
good luck,
loosecannon

the setup is just in a truck with a 102" antenna. ive only tested them by trying them one after the other. the 76 is a 94 but i dont know about the 66. the 66 looks newer on the outside but worse on the inside. is it possible that when someone tried to turn it up a little they messed it up? o and the rf was turned up all the way on both.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.