• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A PROBLEM A FEW YEARS BACK ???

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
2003 Chevy Cavalear (2 door) antenna was a Wilson 1000 trunk mount. SWR was 2.5 ........grounded the trunk to the frame ect.ect. still 2.5 (keeping in mind that this was a Wilson and I never in 15 years had ever had a problem matching one of those) .never say never )-: anyway , I thought I would go with a Wilson magmount ...same results 2.5 )-: After all that ,I just let it be and she only ran a radio instead of having power , it was so so , but that 2.5 was always apart of my conscience )-: two years later she does her annual trade in for a 2005 Chevy Cavalear , same car but this time it's a 4 door model. Well , trunk mount now reads 1.1 around the band and the same with magmount (no grounding at all !! ) I just could not figure out that 2003 for the life of me !! What in the hell could have been the problem with that car ? I was wondering if it might have had to do something with the paint maybe ? I suppose I'll never really know what it was , but it surely wasn't matching out after hours of grounding and what not......I surely won't ever forget that damned car !! Weird

I had the same issue several years back with a Honda Civic. Those small cars someimtes just don't have enough sheet metal to establish a good groundplane. Wilson sells a different length (longer) whip also for use with small cars.

Auh yes !! I forgot to mention that I did try the longer stinger , it made it worse )-: The Cavalier is really not a small car , it's a good mid size. Remember , I did say it matched out nicely on the newer model. In all my years and all my cars and trucks along with others vehicals , I never ever saw a problem with a Wilson not matching out on any vehical until that 2002 Cavalier ........and that's a lot of vehicals in 15 some odd years since I first was introduced to the Wilson 1000 antenna line. I swear by those antenna's !! A guy like me don't need no 10K ,enough is enough. I suppose there's just a first thing for everything . hmmmm

In the early 2000's chevy added a metal sealer to the metal tha thad a % of plactic in it form the 2004-2006 they stoppe dusing it becuas eit cause dthe final finish paint to peal of the car . Hope this might answer your question

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.