• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A99 as a scanner antenna?

EDUK8TR

Got an old A99 I'm going to refurbish. I thought once I put it back up I might use it as a antenna for a scanner. Will this work OK?

Thanks!!

Wayne C.

CDX-787

mobile/base

Magna Force 900

HR2600/Kenwood TS-430S

MR. COILY Single Coil/Wolf .64 ground plane

D104M6B/MC-60 desk

Every man is a damn fool for at least 5 minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.

educate-01sig.gif

</p>

Sure...just about anything works as a scanner antenna. Although there are some antennas you can buy out there real cheap (around $20-$30, I think) that are much smaller, about the size of a TV antenna that will work great. If you don't care about the size, then just use the A99

Moleculo

</p>

I use the antron 99 as a base 11meter and as a scanner antenna.
I switch them back and forth with a switch boxs.
Ps. you can here things you never heard of before with the big antron.

What frequencies are you trying to receive?

I have used my imax2000 on the scanner but mostly when scanning 30-54MHz. Most activity here is vhf 137-174MHz so I mainly use a small vhf whip.

Actually an old car antenna is better then the a99 for a scanner usually. But the Antron will do for most things.

I was recently thinking of doing this also. I have an extra 99 lying around. I was just going to put it in the attic and use it for scanning the cb freq.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned