• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AL1200 Bias voltage

The suffix numeral on this class of tube indicates the amplification factor or "mu". That's the name of the greek alphabet character that looks like an upside-down lower-case "n".

It's the ratio of plate voltage to require 1 Volt of negative grid bias to cut off anode current. The 3-500Z is shown with a mu of 160, by way of comparison. The higher this number, the better the tube would behave with zero bias.

Eimac uses the numeral 7 for this suffix when a tube has enough voltage gain to use for zero bias. The specs above show a mu of 200 for the "D7" version of the tube. Any Eimac "D3" tube was meant for pulse amplification, or as a power oscillator. Not enough gain for an RF amp.

The one pic of a "D3" shows just what the correct one looks like, but don't buy one of these to use in a linear. It just won't behave right.

Happy new year Nomad.
I seen the D3 mulpitle of 24 vs 200 on the D7. the guy wants $1500 for the tube. once the "medium MU* sunk in, I kinda figured it wont work.

My amp is in "unknown" condition when I bought it and I just wanted to go over it. check the bias, do the caps to be safe. I did notice a bit of a dip in the trapizoid and I thought of giving it a bit more idle current. I did notice the cw/ssb switch is flaking out.

I also notice the a7 is obsolete so theres not alot of choice for that socket.
It does 1500 with 65w in all day so I guess I'm just bored.
I'll probably replace the switch and be done with it.

All the voltages are +volts. unless I didnt notice the 25v was negative when unkeyed

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.