• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

alinement on nw radios?

O

oldslowchevy

why does shops say they have to aline a brand new radio fresh out the box? is this just a money thing for themor is it really needed?

galaxy dx979

I run a Galaxy DX979 when mobile. Does a radio "need" an alignment/peak/tune after purchase?

Well, no. And there's nothing wrong with running a stock rig. However, if you want to get the most bang for your buck for the rig you just purchased, getting it peaked/tuned from a RECOMMENDED SHOP is advised. However, your radio is no longer (technically) legal. Legal radios are limited by the FCC to be 4 watts.

Your "tuned" radio will easily swing to anywhere between 10 and 30 watts. Add an amplifier and you could possibly be interfereing with your neighbor's TVI/RFI (your mileage will vary).

By the way, to answer your original question, export radios come factory-equipped for 10 and 12 meters. They have to be "modified" for 11-meter (CB) operation. This usually involves physically moving a jumper inside the radio or unsoldering/resoldering some point within the radio. I haven't done this myself but, if I'm sufficiently informed, export radios usually come to you with this 11-meter "mod" already performed, with the instructions informing you which BAND is 11-meter.

getting it peaked/tuned from a RECOMMENDED SHOP is advised.

Make sure you ASK the shop if there tune involves an alignment with the proper test equipment, using a service manual, and the peak does NOT include removing limiters.
There is nothing wrong with asking a shop if the have proper test equipment, in fact, if you ask the question, and they get defensive or start telling you that the do not need a scope, frequency counter or a signal generator to service your radio...... say thank you and walk away.
GOOD radio shops often work on more than CB radios, they often also do service work on business band stuff, amateur radios and other radio`s as well.
There is a reason that a lot of members here recommend shops like Dave at DTB radio, or Richard at 8541 electronics to do work on radios.
When a shop is willing to post up a complete list of there test equipment on there web site for potential customers to see, it says a lot.
There are too many guys out there now that open your radio, open the CB experts guide to CB radio, or get on the internet and Google CB Mods, clip d-14, get on channel 19 and tune the RX for maximum noise, and then adjust the VR`s for your s-meter, TX meter ALC/AMC wide open so you get Max swing and charge you $40 bucks, you can do that...... that is not a tune.

There is a difference in looking up tune up mods on the internet, and actually understanding why and how things work inside a radio.

Rant over.

Jeff

In my 35 yrs. Exp. I have seen many new radio's mistuned out of the box, though most "AM" only operators may not notice, on side band this could render the radio useless. ( This was the case with several New 959/979 I have received from my wholesaler), which has made it common practice for me that any radio I sell new or used is set to factory spec. Over the last 10yrs. I only do factory spec. alignment on TX/RX 4watt am, 12watt ssb 100 percent modulation.
At customer request: I will lower the dead-key, Open the clarifier, do the receive transistor/diode improvement, Voltage regulator improvement.

"Though it may seem THIS IS NOT AN AVERTISEMENT" I am only stating what I do in my practice to assure quality performance and sound that will earn you positive compliments over the air...

why does shops say they have to aline a brand new radio fresh out the box? is this just a money thing for themor is it really needed?

As stated any Export that gets converted to 11m MUST be re-aligned. Way too many guys buy there radio's from Crapper or H & Y thinking they are saving a buck by converting it at home. They then end up with an average sounding radio that is mis-aligned.

Legal cb radio's I feel also need some work right out of the box. They are built on an assembly line and "ballparked" in. Combine that with the radio built on Friday, Monday, when the worker is hung over, or just before quitting time. You can see there is room for error.

Here's a strange one. The company I work for provides Cobra 29's for the trucks. The LTD NW version. They tend to replace them often as we can't convince them that SWR is important and that Cobra mics are not known for their reliability.

So they put a new 29 in my friends truck and 5 of us convoy up to North Dakota. We had the one company provided Cobra 29, two Galaxy DX55's, my HR 2510, and a (don't everyone get jealous at once here) Cobra 200.

The Galaxies had no problem hearing this new 29. The Cobra 200 guy complained that he was sounding a little tinny. I couldn't understand him at all. He sounded like he was on the next channel. I had to use my RIT to tune that radio in. And doing so I could only tune him in till he was understandable, but still sounded high pitched and tinny. If I tuned his radio in, I lost the other three radios.

I finally centered my RIT, and started tuning him in with the VFO, we were on channel 36, 27.365 Mhz. The best i could determine, he was broadcasting on 27.3614 Mhz with a brand new out of the box radio.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.