• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Am I calculating this filter Q correctly?

brandon7861

Loose Wire
Nov 28, 2018
Sorry this is such a big post. I watched a video about bandpass filters and I am trying to figure out the design strategy they used. In particular, how to calculate the Q of this filter. A screenshot of the filter and parts table:
bp filter 1.png

The transformers in the table all have similar turns ratio, around 5:1. That's a 25:1 impedance ratio. So 50Ω is turned into 1250Ω and vice versa at the ends of the filter. The middle capacitors have a reactance matching that 1250Ω at the secondary. For transformers, I know that a higher impedance means a higher Q, but how high? To make an attempt at verifying my guesses at calculating this Q, I put some parts into simsmith for an 11m filter using values similar to those in the table above, but it didn't answer my question:

bp filter simsmith.png

Since just under an SWR of 6 is about 50% loss, I assume about there is the -3dB points (don't know how to make simsmith show return loss or anything else yet). That shows about 4.4MHz bandwidth. But I didn't put in a core material, I didn't specify wire diameter, nothing. So how can simsmith know the bandwidth???

If I take the secondary resistance from toroids.info with 16 turns on a 37-6 core, it says 5.1Ω resistance (I assume this swamps the effects of wire diameter). Wikipedia states that when a tank only has the resistance of the coil, it is the series equation for Q (but I have both). So if I convert the parallel combination of inductive reactance and the 1250Ω of the secondary to series equivalents so I can add the coil resistance to that, then convert back to parallel equivalents and use those values in the typical equation for Q of a parallel tank (using Xl=133Ω and R=920Ω instead of Xl=132Ω and R=1250Ω), I get a Q of about 7 and a BW of 3.9MHz. Close, but not the same as simsmith shows. What am I doing wrong???

Am I messing this up somehow????

bp filter Q calc2.png

Thanks!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.