• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amateur amp output ratings

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
Why do manufactures only rate power amps as being able to put out "full legal power". I mean come on,a pair of 4CX800's will do a lot more and still remain within ratings.Are they afraid to actually admit just how much power the amps actually will put out? Up here we can run 2250 watts pep and we are legally permitted to own an amp that will produce up to but not exceeding twice the max. allowed power output.That would mean that I could own an amp capable of puting out 4500 watts.I know that differant countries have differant output limits but why not just state what the amps will actually do? Everyone including the FCC knows the amps will do more than "legal limit" but how much more? Is there a limit as to how big of an amp an amateur can actually own? From some stuff I have heard of and seen built I would have to say no.Keep in mind I am just talking about true ham amps like Henry,Alpha,Ameritron etc.

its not like that in the uk, we are only allowed to use 400w pep on hf but the amp makers advertise the real power the amp will do, sometimes its a conservative rating and often they will not produce the rated power on the higher bands 12 mtrs and 10mtrs, i have been told there is no legal limit to the size of amp you can use as long as you keep within the 400w pep with acceptable harmonic content.

That's a great question QRN. I think they don't advertise it just so they don't draw attention to themselves. My amp has a pair of 3cx800a7's in it. But the spec sheet says it'll only do 1500 watts. Yeah right.....

Part 97 rules.

Nope! Cannot! Got to QRO Technologies QRO website and check out the HF-2500DX Mark III! Notice the little bitty note underneath it? Wonder why? cuz this suckah puts out 3,500 WATTS SSB, 2,500 WATTS CW, 2,000 WATTS CONTINUOUS! Just a wee bit over our 1.5Kw limit. But they will be happy to ship it to "you" in like Canada or Nigeria or something like that ;)

Moleculo said:
My amp has a pair of 3cx800a7's in it.

An Ameritron AL-800H? Probably one of the BEST amps Ameritron has ever made, yet they (MFJ) keep it quiet. There is a reason Alpha, QRO, Command, and others use this tube!

Forget about the 811 and the 1200/1500 amps. Get the 800H!

BTW, you can buy the QRO amp here. Its even legal to have a 4CX10000D amp! It's just not legal to exceede 1500 watts (or 4 watts for that matter).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.