• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amateur Tri-band Beam on 11m?

2CO3026

Mar 14, 2009
Cornpach, IL
Has anyone here ever used a tri-band (20, 15, and 10m) beam on 11 meters? I have tuners galore, so tuning a non-resonant antenna is not a problem. But, I'm just wondering how effective (i.e. F/B ratio, gain, etc.) a tribander can be on 11.

Does anyone have any experience with one?
Tnx

(Moderators: My apologies for double posting, but I thought it was appropriate to post this here and in the CB Antennas forum, since it deals with both areas.)

-

I don't have any personal experience using one, but I know it will work. The resonance on the 10 meter element is not that far away at all from 11M. It will work very well for ya.

interview.gif

High-Q traps operating well off their design frequency can be destroyed quickly under too much power. No mention of what sort of tribander this is, but I'd bet it has traps. Keep the power down.

Also, you'll have increased loss in the coax because of the increased SWR. A "tuner" can't help you there; a low SWR at the transmitter doesn't really tell you anything.

Can you re-tune a 'tri-bander' for use on 11 meters? Sure. But it will mean one of two things. You will loose 10 meters. Or, you will not be using a resonant antenna. Neither is a world shattering catastrophe, but that's what will happen. A tuner, at least one on the bottom end of that feed line, doesn't make anything resonant. They certainly do make things more compatible to the transmitter though, which is the whole point of using one.
Gain because of element spacing etc? No idea if, or how much you might gain or loose, it would probably be very comparable though.
Antenna usable bandwidth. Oh boy is that an easy game to play! That's because of how that usable bandwidth is typically measured, by SWR. It really isn't that difficult to 'fool' an SWR meter. That SWR isn't very indicative of how well an antenna is working, or it's efficiency. There are just too many ways of getting an SWR with the 'right' amounts of reactances in it to make a transmitter 'happy'. Unfortunately, depending on exactly 'where' those reactances are and their purpose for being there, reactances do not 'radiate'/produce any signal. Resonance is defined as the absence of reactances leaving only 'resistance', which does radiate a good signal.
So, can it be done? Yes. Is it going to be the bestest thingy in the world? Depends on how you look at it.
- 'Doc

W5LZ hit spot on look at it this way when a guy buys a wilson 5000 or K40 he has to tune it for pretty much where he talks so if its tuned for 11 meters your not gonna be as efficiant if at all on 10 meters and vice versa if you were to tune it for 10 meters 11 meters would be your battle.

It often reminds me of some of the old tube HF rigs the owner could change a crystal to get 11 meters but he would lose I believe it was 10 meters ETC. A high SWR is a high SWR regaurdless your tuner ios just going to try to make the best of it and keep it at a safe level its kind of a fighting a losing battle type thing at times

Now I do know and understand thgat there are antennas available that are amazingly extremely broad banded Antron 99 for example Ive had mine down into 15 meters after a fellow amateur user told he used his there but 10 11 12 meters coverage forsure and without messing with the tunning rings. Like metioned if that beam has the traps on use caution when playing with power.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.