• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron AWM-35BH

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
This meter comes with 25' of cat 5 cable. I'd like to use a shorter section to minimize rats nest of wires. I remember reading that the cables on my LP-100a are part of the calibration. Does anyone know if this is the same for the Ameritron? I'm thinking it probably isn't, but never know.

Is this a trick question? I mean you mention CALIBRATION and AMERITRON together. :p If you can make up a Cat5 cable I would just swap it out and see if it makes any difference. Check a few different bands to be sure. With it being a Cat5 cable I have doubts it will make any difference.

I didn't think it would. I haven't seen it mentioned, but mostly curious. I got bored the other day and was comparing the two MFJ meters against the LP-100.

I modulated a 1000 Hz tone with varying wattage and my MFJ-815D stayed within 1 watt of the LP-100a. The AWM-30 was within 2 watts. The meter and digital display on my MFJ-994b tuner was within 1 watt also. In no way scientific, but interesting, just the same. An older MFJ-939 on bypass mode was 10 watts difference.

Just a guess, I'd likely need some precision instrumentation to notice a difference, if I changed lengths of the cable on the LP-100. His calibration must be extreme.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
It doesn't matter. I used one with 60 to 70 ft of cable for an amp remotely located in the garage. I would take the meter head out there and connect it with a short cable to tune up. I never noticed any difference.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.