• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp and a vehicles ECM?

DaleD

Aug 29, 2009
How far should an amp in a modern vehicle that has a ECM be?

Is there a general rule? or does it depend on the power of the amp? (100 watts)

Newb to all this so i ask here...:confused::confused:

How far should an amp in a modern vehicle that has a ECM be?

Is there a general rule? or does it depend on the power of the amp? (100 watts)

Newb to all this so i ask here...:confused::confused:
The amp should be as close to the antenna as reasonable.

And not worry about the ECM?

Like i said.. I am new to all of this.. Thanks for the reply...
No one can tell you with a doubt if it will affect the ecm but you have to use common sense when dealing with rf.

The amp usually won't be the culprit, it will be the antenna were the rf power is Emmited.

Give us a vehicle description and that will go a long way to helping.

I doubt 100 watts will cause you much grief, if any. But, different vehicles react differently to RF. The best thing to do is to a proper installation and try it...you'll know right away if there's going to be a problem.

I doubt 100 watts will cause you much grief, if any. But, different vehicles react differently to RF. The best thing to do is to a proper installation and try it...you'll know right away if there's going to be a problem.
Yes, I did a personal install on a late model IHC truck, I mean I did a real nice proper install and the minute I went over 500 watts pep I would loose cruise control function, the tachometer would go wacko which would explain the cruise function error and even adding ferrites and other choking devices there was no help at all so I resided myself to the fact that the filtering on the ecm board was not up to grade and I uninstalled the setup.

I figured I did'nt need the repair bill on something I did not own.

Thanks for the info.Guess i'll just hook it up and find out.

This is in a 2006 Toyota tacoma

This is decent question to ask - especially if one is going to run power in a new car. Or just any car so equipped with an ECM. Which is most of them - any more - as points and condensers ignition systems are long gone...

I have a Galaxy DX 95t2 (200 watts PEP) that I have yet to put in my Honda CR-V/'08 - because I don't know if it will adversely affect the ECM. Or some other part of the car. The only real way to know - is to try it and find out for myself.

One would think that newer cars will do better - since cell phones have come along. But the fact that enough power used may affect something - or even fry something in the car. I wouldn't want to stuck out in the middle of nowhere as a result of just 200 watts of modulation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.Guess i'll just hook it up and find out.

This is in a 2006 Toyota tacoma

The Tundra actually has a white paper floating around outlining all that Toyota did to reduce RFI for radio purposes...allegedly it's one of the quietest RFI cars for ham use there is. It wouldn't surprise me if they paid some attention with the Tacoma as well.

I know that some cars and trucks computers are kind of pickey do that on a new Chevy truck that they are running 4 to 8 computers in there. sense it's a 2006 it shouldn't be a problem it's just the newer ones that you have to watch out for .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.