• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp,transceiver, tunner hook up.

msherrod

Devil Dog
Jan 13, 2012
Temple, Texas
Can someone walk me theough the proper connections and hook ups for my station? I have a Icom IC-756 Pro II radio, a Ameritron AL-80A amp and an MFJ-998 1.5k automatic antenna tuner. The manuals have verbal instructions but some of the titles of parts and connections are not the same and I want to make sure that I am using the correct plugs (RCA connections and 239's, etc.).:blink::blink:
Thanks and 73,

M. Sherrod
WB5PBS

What part is confusing you? It would be beneficial if you had someone local to pay a visit and help rather than try to have someone talk you through it on an internet forum. That's some nice gear and easily danmaged if not hooked up correctly or you have one bad solder joint with that size amplifier. Also dangerous.

Why not start out by just hooking up the Pro II, tuner and antenna first before adding the amp. All you need for that are jumpers with PL-239's on each end. Then use the tuner manually.

Do you have a 1kw dummy load? That's an absolute must have if you plan to run the amp.

Reactions: 3 people
the RCA connectors are for 2 uses:

the amp keying RELAY,... this amp will not key with RF (like most CB amps do.

also another RCA connector should be used for the ALC connection between the rig and the amp.

I would recommend some sort of keying buffer to protect the ICOM 's relay from possible excessive current draw, I don't know exactly off the top of my head what the relayis rated at, but , you should check your manual for the max current draw allowed.

Reactions: 1 person
Proper chain is Radio, amp, tuner last on chain.
Coax jumper from ant1 or 2 to rf input on Ameritron. Coax jumper from rf out to transmitter input on tuner and antenna out to antenna. RCA jumper from tx on Icom to rly on amp. RCA jumper from alc on Icom to alc on amp, keep you from overdriving till you get familiar with it.
You could purchased an Ameritron ARB704 kit with the RCA cables, that's a buffer. The Icom's don't use the plug and play cable. As posted, if you have any buddies familiar with this, not a bad idea.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for the help!

;)I just wanted to thank K9GAS, hookedon6, and RatsoW8 for their fast response to my inquiry on hooking up my station. Their advice was very sound and I shall take it all as they have advised.
73 to all,

Mike S.
WB5PBS

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.