• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier Power Connection

Happy_Hamer

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2001
OK, here is my question,

On my Volvo Semi truck, I have the dual power connectors, positive and negative thumb screws / binding receptacle.

Similar to this,

HT_speaker4.jpg

I unscrew the binding post and connect the power leads of my radio to it.

I was going to mount a KL-200P amp on top of my radio.

Run the power lead to the banana plug section of the binders.

The system has a 20 amp circuit breaker.

The radio is rated to draw 4 amps

The amp is rated to draw 12 amps

Does anyone think there will be any problems with the radio and amp powered from the same source?

I agree, years ago I had a KL60 on top of a Uniden 122xl. I made a single harness and ran it off a cig plug, got 45-50 watt PEP from that set-up. Even though the 200p is bigger then a KL60 that 20 amp post should feed it and the radio fine.

watch the lights dim on the radio
with the amp on
now your radio is not getting enough voltage and amps

Going only by the 'numbers' you gave, it ought'a work. I have no idea how accurate your/Volvo's ratings are so won't give a definite answer. Try it and you tell us! Totaling up those current draws indicates that you would be running that 20 amp breaker pretty close to it's max. I'd sort of keep an eye on it, that's not the 'bestest' way to 'work' that breaker. If you can get to the wires going to that connector, I'd feel them for heat occasionally. It they appear/feel 'warm' then you are really 'pushing' things and I'd quit doing that.
- 'Doc

Don't think I'd want to try pulling more than just a couple of amperes via the banana jack/plug connection. That's a sliding contact and not hard metal-to-metal. Significant resistance will make for a hot spot - really hot. I'd use the binding post tightened down securely onto a suitable crimped and/or soldered ring connector.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't think I'd want to try pulling more than just a couple of amperes via the banana jack/plug connection. That's a sliding contact and not hard metal-to-metal. Significant resistance will make for a hot spot - really hot. I'd use the binding post tightened down securely onto a suitable crimped and/or soldered ring connector.

Agreed. Just connect the radio and amp's power wires together and use lugs. Barring that use the banana jacks for the radio and the binding posts for the amp.

FWIW I used to run a 2950DX and a small single transistor SD1446 amp off the lighter socket with both wires connected together without an issue.

The amp is rated 8-11Amps and has a 12 amp fuse so you should be good. I would make a better conection with the binding screws. Does the radio have variable power? or low dead-key???

Add the size of fuses together and that's what you figure on the average current draw. Is it going to be big enough?
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.