• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

amplifier qustion

cbkidd1

May 3, 2005
pa.
I just sold my 10 2sc2879 base amplifier. I want to get a tube amplifer again. And just was wondering if a dentron clipperton l Would be equal in output or better? I know they over state the output on the 2879 transistor when they build the amps. So i am thinking 10 2sc2879 transistors should putout around 1000 watts avg. Would that be close?

To find the safe carrier output level of a tube amp, divide the CW output rating by 4.

So a 1kW rated amp will at max do 250W carrier, but really....they aren't duty cycle rated for that so you should run it down around 125-150.

10/2879 will do an easy 1000 watts but we also need to remember that it is with the correct drive or input you feed the transistors with.

220V power supply feed, with 100W drive input should give you a bit over 1kW output.

For AM use though, you would want to run this amp at about 125-150W carrier and about 600W total output or you will cook it.

220V power supply feed, with 100W drive input should give you a bit over 1kW output.

For AM use though, you would want to run this amp at about 125-150W carrier and about 600W total output or you will cook it.

what he just said is a mouthful...that Clippertron was made for SSB and CW predominately so you won't see anything near a kw from that amp on AM..... you'll just run it in the red until it's dead trying...even then you won't get a kw from it on AM

The Dentron Clipperton-L has four 572B tubes in it and run flat out will only make about 12-1300 watts on SSB.That means no more than about 150 watts or so of carrier.Some folks think they can run it at about 300 watts of carrier and it will hit peaks of 1200 on AM. That is true HOWEVER it cannot take the heat generated by high duty cycle AM.The power supply won't like being run flat out either.

Thank you all for the info. It has a peter dahi transformer.The hi voltage board and capacitors have been replaced. And has a new plate choke and new parasitic suppressors. Also it appears that it had a input tuner. Here is a picture of the amp. I have never had clipperton l before. So the only way to know is to ask.

Last edited:
cbkidd1,
I'm sure that Clipperton is in better shape than it used to be, but still, don't expect a large increase in output power even with those modifications. The tubes are still 572's, that hasn't changed, and they are still the limiting factor. A much better solution for higher output power, especially for AM, and this particular amplifier, is to make a very large increase in the air movement and cooling. One aspect of using a larger than 'normal' transformer in any amplifier is that they typically decrease the amplifier's cooling capacity because of the transformer's larger size. Constricted space means less air movement, means less cooling. That extra cooling isn't really that hard to do, but the 'catch' is noise. There will be noise, not just from the fan, but from the air movement it's self. That's one of the 'gotcha's with any amplifier, not just the Clipperton, and not just for tube type amplifiers, but all of them!
Another 'gotcha' for any amplifier as old as the Clipperton is how power was calculated. It was rated by input power, not output power, huge difference, as in about 50% actual difference in output power.
Nothing wrong with rating things by input rather than output power, as long as the user/buyer is aware of it. Same road, just a difference view.
- 'Doc

The big inductor coil on the reddish form looks like it was more than heated up on the right side of it there.

I don't know that amp well enough to comment as to which band did that, but be aware that that inductor coil looks like it was cooked up quite a lot.

Looks like it's tapped vs a roller inductor so it should be o.k. but check the connections for the tap to be sure they are still clean and solid if you have any issues that may point to an issue with that one.

I shore hope the inductor coil is ok. I seen that also from the picture's before i won the bid. but was not sure if that was a problem? And if it is can i get a replacement from some were? That's what i get for buying off of fleebay. The amp will be here by Thursday. Just trying to get all the info i can before i plug it up. I think i also from what i read i need to get a input tuner. I want to take the time and thank everyone for taking time out to give me there input on the dentron. You all are a great source for info when i need it.

The big inductor coil on the reddish form looks like it was more than heated up on the right side of it there.

I don't know that amp well enough to comment as to which band did that, but be aware that that inductor coil looks like it was cooked up quite a lot.

Looks like it's tapped vs a roller inductor so it should be o.k. but check the connections for the tap to be sure they are still clean and solid if you have any issues that may point to an issue with that one.

Looks like someone already made a long transmission with it on 40 meter AM.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.