• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another coax question

airplane1 said:
Anyone know anything about RF Davis buryflex?

AP

I use it for my Dual band Ham 2meter/440 base antenna, and my Discone. I only have about a 40 foot run on both. Very good stuff for the $$. Darn near as good as LMR 400, but cheaper.

So it would be good to run like 126ft long for my CB base setup?

This length is the shortest I can do the way things are setup here at my home while keeping wife happy. :LOL:

AP

W5LZ said:
I agree with 'QRN'. If there was that much difference from just a change in coax, there had to have been other problems. There's nothing wrong with 'LMR' coax but it just doesn't produce that kinda miracles. Hard to believe but there's nothing wrong with Radio Shack coax either...
- 'Doc

I have to agree with Doc. What your friend didn't tell you is that after he change the coax. I bet he also checked his SWR and NOW it's set at 1.5.1.. ANd for RAT SHACK coax is does a good job also..
-=Tom=-

airplane1,friends analyzer is a MFJ-259b.he said its the entry level one and he paid $220.00.seems there pretty popular here.for just over $200.00 i think i should surely get one.he told me that even though my set up sounded good my frequency that i talk on,(27.185),was closer to ch.6"s frequency.
iv"e wouldn"t of known that with a regular swr.he said that if you take your fingers and make 2 piece vee signs that my vee"s were next to each other before and now there on top of each other.
hope that makes since.and before it was a short piece of a bottom of bell and now its one real long bottom of bell.he said great flatlining there.

I dont quite understand what your freind means by the v and bottom of a bell but I want to get one of these analyzers and learn all this good stuff. I plan on trying lots of different antennas over the next couple of years.

Thanks,
AP

AP,
The antenna analyzers are nice things to have if you know what they are telling you. If not, it's a lot like having an electron microscope. "Sure interesting, but what the @#$% is that stuff in there?", you know? I won't say it's easy to learn, but I would suggest learning about all that 'stuff' before buying one. Other wise, you'll never get the full benifit it's capable of giving. Then again, after spending that much on the thing I'd sure want to know what it's telling me and would probably make the effort to find out...
- 'Doc

Thank you for your input W5LZ,

Do you know of any web sites to pull up on my computer to start my learning process?

I was also looking into the 9913F7 coax which is supposed to be about the best, Any input on this cable.

AP

ap,don"t feel alone about those analizers.sunday morn was the first time iv"e ever seen one in use.i didn"t have much time experiencing the work of it with me climbing up and down from the roof of car.
all i caught was him turning dials and seeing alot of digital numbers from up there.i"d like to know more about them to before i buy one.
i"m not to impressed any more with a regular swr meter after seeing that analizer in play.i"ll keep checking here to see if anybody gives you a web site to check out so i can look and learn to.
about the v and the bottom of bell arch and flatlinning was the best way i could explain it.maybe somebody here will explain it clearer to ya then me.

yea, I hope someone enlightens us a bit more with some info on where to learn this antenna stuff.

I did want to ask you off topic coondog, why did you pic coondog for your forum name?

Start with the ARRL Handbook and the ARRL Antenna book. If you can make it through those two books, you'll have done a lot better than most.

thanks beetle & moleulo,i"ll myself will check it out this weekend.ap,coondog is my radio handle so i just stuck with it for the forum.i used to do alot of coon hunting a few years back.i had 2 treeing walkers & a bluetick.
there not with me anymore because either from diabetes to one having tumors and one died of old age.sure would like to get back into it soon with a new pup to train myself.

coondog,

Back in the early to mid 70s there was a man that would go hunting on my dads property for coons at night when the moon was full. I still remember hearing the dogs at when they treed a coon. There were lots of them around our house then and I we would always find baby coons in holes in trees and play with them. We even kept one as a pet but it got to naughty and would tear the house apart so we got rid of her.

AP

'AP',
About '9913' coax. The plain old (original) 9913 was nice to use ~IF~ used correctly, which was not always easy to do. At one time, it probably was one of the 'best' coaxs available depending on the application. For 'ordinary' HF use it wasn't really necessary but was usable and also one of 'those' things you could brag about, you know? The 'not easy' part of using it was the fact that it was hollow. Being hollow, it made a just dandy water hose into yout shack (if it wasn't sealed and if the humidity didn't get really high). If it is run 'down hill' from your shack it's still some really nice stuff, but most 'best' above HF (if that makes sense). I'm assuming that type you asked about is the new stuff that isn't 'hollow', and while it's still not the easiest stuff to use, it ought to be at least 'easier'.
Good, better, best depend entirely on the frequency of use, and distance between antenna/shack. Look at the amount of loss for the frequency band of use and the total losses for the distance it has to run. That will tell you the 'best' type coax to use electrically. There are two 'other' very important things to knopw/remember. First is co$t. The second is that small differences in the amount of system losses because of attenuation in coax majes very little difference in what you will hear/transmit. 'Small' losses amount to something around 2 to 3 dB attenuation. Even 3 dB of loss is almost undetectable as far as what you will hear (the biggy) or what you will transmit (not really that much of a biggy). Runs of about 100 to 200 feet sort of rule out the use of RG-58 coax. It's still usable but there will be some noticable attenuation. (There will be losses in 9913 or any of the LMR coax, just not as much.) [If there really was such a thing as the 'best' coax, there would only be one style or type coax being sold. The rest would all be laying on the side of the road, giving their last gasps. Being 'practical', 'cheap' and 'available' are the true biggies with coax. Wait for it, theres gonna be lots to be said about that! - LOL]
- 'Doc

PS - 'Used' coax, unless you are the one who'z used it and know what's been done to it, is almost always trash. (Unless they pay the shipping and it's free!)

PPS - Aw @#$%. Just saw all the misspelling. Too lazy to correct it, so... Not responcible for spelling.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.