• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another IMAX Question

EDUK8TR

I would think that a beam would always be more efficient than an omni any day.

Wayne C.

CDX-787

mobile/base

Magna Force 900

HR2600/Kenwood TS-430S

MR. COILY Single Coil/Wolf .64 ground plane

D104M6B/MC-60 desk

Every man is a damn fool for at least 5 minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.

educate-01sig.gif

</p>

A beam is great for DX'ing since you can point it at where you want to talk and it will help reject side and back signals. Also, the more elements you add to the beam (assuming a yagi), the greater gain you will achieve. However, there are some downsides to having a beam. The main one is that you will need a good tower and rotor to support and turn the thing. What you can get away with for a vertical and what is required for a beam are two very different things.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of people like to run a vertical above a beam to get the best of both worlds.

Moleculo

</p>

<blockquote>Quote:<hr>the amount of elements do not increase the gain..

the greater the boom the greater the gain..

the more elements the finer point or narrower path of the beam.

<hr></blockquote>

Well yes, but assuming you don't just cram more elements on the same boom and are doing it right by increasing the boom length with the number of elements, you will have increased forward gain with more elements. You will also have a narrow bandwidth and beam width, which has it's own advantages / disadvantages.

</p>

I have a Imax mounted on a 30' mast, which makes it 54' to the top. I live close to the coast in Georgia. Most of my skip comes from the West in the winter/spring , and North summer/fall . I never get skip from Fla . and the ocean is behind me , The question is would a beam say a M103 at 30' be more efficient for my DXing? I fill like my part of my signal is going places that does not benefit me ?

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.