• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another new(?) Ranger

Thing is I actually liked Ranger Radios, the 2950 and 2950 DX flavors were fine radios when they came out, the 6 meter rig was good too.
They just seemed to get stuck in a rut with the 6900xx boards, nothing really new after that.
And the current trend to just keep bolting mystery MOSFET amps to them is disappointing.

Jeff

Thing is I actually liked Ranger Radios, the 2950 and 2950 DX flavors were fine radios when they came out, the 6 meter rig was good too.
They just seemed to get stuck in a rut with the 6900xx boards, nothing really new after that.
And the current trend to just keep bolting mystery MOSFET amps to them is disappointing.

Jeff
I like the 2950"s as well. I have the old school, and the DX versions, old school 2970 as well. I haven't really had any issues other than the channel knob on the old school models.
I did Bobs CB image rejection mod on the DX models I have, I never had a problem with that...I don't think, but did it anyway.
I just removed the Cobra 200 in my truck as the faceplate is pretty much turned brown. I guess they weren't really made to be in the desert sun. Put a 2950DX in to replace it and it works well, and seems to be a lot quieter as far as power line noise than the Cobra was.
I also have the 5054DX-100. The only problem I've had with it is no one on 6 meter band. Had it for years and never made a contact on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AudioShockwav
I also have the 5054DX-100. The only problem I've had with it is no one on 6 meter band. Had it for years and never made a contact on it.
I have a 5054 100 watt version as well. It's not my "go to" 6 meter radio because my Kenwood has a much cleaner receiver (as to be expected). I've made several contacts on the 5054 and it seems to work fine.

Had a group of locals on SSB one night and one asked which radio I was running on 6? I hit the roger beep once and he knew immediately..
I quickly turned it off and went back to following the rules.. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.