• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ANOTHER NEWB

elmuiz

Aug 6, 2010
Hi... there... I have had two cb's in the past 5 years.. mostly walmart cobra mini's.. Any way I want to know if there is an all around radio... that can get the cb am band as well as fm and wx.. Does the magnum-257hp do any of this.. Well I don't like the the look of the CB's like cobras or uniden.. I want some thing more like the ham radio with the am cb funtion with wx.. Is there any thing like it..

Hold my hand show me the way.. I'm a fast learner ..
(well just show me no touching)

what type of fm are you looking for? like 2 meter or just use fm on cb band with your buddies. lots of regular cb's do wx band, not sure why you want fm though. fm is not used on cb's, that's why i asked if it was somthing you and your buddies would be on. you will be hard pressed to find anyone that uses it. i like fm on 11m but its to inconvenient to use when am works well and its what every radio has.

there arnt many radios outside of a fully blown hf+vhf rig that will do 2m and cb. weather can be covered by just using the 2m portion of the radio. the drawback is you looking at something like a icom 706 mark IIg and that around $900 on sale.

the only export i can think of is a rci 2980wx and that is a base radio.

to answer your question no the 257 will not do everything you want.

i read it as a us resident, uk would use 27mhz fm but they don't have dedicated weather frequency's like our noaa. maybe german?

i still think hes a us resident.

Gee; didn't know they had Wallymarts in Deustchland and Brittans...

The Magnum 257 does AM, FM, and SSB - but not Wx...

Walmart has a subsidiary called Asda in the uk.I imagine nowhere near the scale of stores you have in the usa though.

i'm thinking he's in the usa as AM is as popular as a fart in an astronauts suit here since FM was legalised back in 1981.most european countries use FM for local stuff or SSB for dx around 27.555 usb.

I know that Cobra and Uniden makes radios with the WX band in them,but you said you are not to crazy about those radios.Besides those two I dont know of any pure CBs off hand that would have what you are looking for....Now as said above there are 2 meter ham radios that will receive the WX band and a few HF/VHF ham radios that will do that as well but those can be costly

Might as well get a ham license if you go with the ham radios and use them to the fullest

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.