• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna and thin sheet metal

vikingjunior

Dec 5, 2006
cb2.jpg

As you can see in the pic I choose to use one of those firestik molded side mounts.Well driving on the highway and look out the window and the antenna was flexing really bad, almost to the point where the tip was hitting the roof. At first I just thought it was the spring so I upgraded to a heavy duty spring which helped a little with the antenna swaying from side to side but now I see there is a lot of stress on the mount and sheet metal. I guess I could try adding a metal support bar but I still think the metal is just to thin for any antenna mount.

I'm kinda glad I didn't put it on the roof now as that sucker would ripped right out of the roof. I guess I should of put it on the tire carrier which happens to be grounded but didn't want to have to feed the coax into the vehicle somewhere.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

One typical way of fixing a 'thin metal' thingy is by 'backing' the sheet metal with something. For flat surfaces, a flat piece of metal of a larger area than the mount's foorprint (by at least 3 - 4 times) usually works. If the sheet metal isn't flat, then you can really have fun! A typical way of doing that is by backing with several layers of glass resin and material (thicker the better, to some point that's not absolutely rediculous. Not 'Bondo', too brittle.). Getting to the back side of that sheet metal is also lots of fun!
- 'Doc

PS - And then there's the old 'redneck' standby... weld a round saw blade to the outside of the sheel metal. Ought'a look nice parked next to that water-heater flower bed, right? Polish the saw blade real good! Call it your "Signal Ripper". Jeez... that's a bit much even for me.

995 gave me this advise on reinforcements:

You'll need :
-80 grit sand paper
-Glass cloth
-1 quart of resin and a tube of hardener
-3 disposable paintbrushes (2")

I got everything from Lowes for under $20

You'll also need some sort of mixing bowls and sticks, but I had that laying around.

Install your mount. Cover the inside of the vehicle with drop cloths (this is much easier without the seats). Put on old clothes.....don't skip that step. Mark the area surrounding the mount 20" by 20" with a pencil. Sand inside this area with 80 grit paper. Cut a bunch of fiberglass. Start with two sheets 18"X18", then two 16"X16", then two 14"X14". Make sure to cut a hole in the center of each where the mount will be....you can't glass over the center conductor. I DO glass over the mounting bolts, but I add an additonal bolt close to the center conductor for the coax shield to connect to. If you do not do this, the leave one of the mounting bolts uncovered....it will still be plenty strong. Regardless of how you decide to do it...just make sure that you have some bare metal somewhere to connect the braid to. That resin doesn't want to come off once it's on. Mix up some resin (about 6 oz), and paint it over the sanded area. Add one layer of 18"X18" glass cloth, paint it again, add the second 18"X18" then paint it again. Make sure to get all the bubbles out, and make sure the cloth is fully soaked (they make a squeegy type tool for this, but I have never used one). You will be able to see any air pockets or dry areas very easily. Just work the bubbles out and soak it dwon good. While the first two layers set up, get a coffee or beer and mix another batch of epoxy and proceed to the 16"X16" sheets. Repeat, reapeat. You don't want the resin to fully harden between coats. If it does you have to sand it again. So keep working while it's tacky. On the other hand, you have to let it set up a little. Doing anymore than two layers of glass at a time and it will want to fall off.

Just an additional thought--everybody seems to have some good ideas. If you are not THAT persnickety, you could install a ball mount--the old police standby. It doesn't really hurt the value of the vehicle and you can do like a lot of the CB guys and just leave the antenna in place when you trade or put on an el cheapo replacement. The ball mount already has a reinforcing plate that attaches to the inside of the sheet metal.
You might cringe at the thought of drilling holes, but this option DOES work.

CWM 8)

Thanks for the advice and I think the mount is stronger then I thought as I whacked a tree limb pretty hard today and the mount didn't budge. It does come with a metal plate behind it, I just wish the plate was larger.

vikingjunior said:
Thanks for the advice and I think the mount is stronger then I thought as I whacked a tree limb pretty hard today and the mount didn't budge. It does come with a metal plate behind it, I just wish the plate was larger.

get a steel plate that is larger than the one that you have now there easy to make fit and you wont stress out the metal on the veh.

your antenna flops like it does due to placement and being in the mass airstream. reguardless of mount it will most likly flop around due to the wind load

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.