• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna coax & conduit

KD2GOE

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 30, 2013
Buffalo
I am moving my antenna to the other end of my yard. I was thinking of running LMR400 or RG213 don't know what one to run?...
Because I was going to run it in the ground I was thinking running it in a cheep garden hose.. now I was thinking because I don't want wetter to fill the hose over time I can may be fill it with compressed air and seal it up I don't know yet how to seal the hose up to compress it I am sure I can figure it out....

or can I fill it with RV antifreeze??

Why not just get cable with the 'bury-able' outer insulation and bury it? Which cable? The amount of loss for whatever the distance you run the thing is going to be basically the same, sort of. No matter what cable, there will be losses, so unless they get 'sizable', it isn't worth worrying about. Losses of less than 3 dB are generally not worth the worry, you'll never hear the difference.
- 'Doc

I buried about 100' of 1" pvc in my back yard 7 years ago and ran two lengths of coax through it. All I did was seal the ends with outdoor silicon sealant. About a month ago I pulled the cable out to inspect it and it looks like it did when I put it in the ground 7 years ago so I ran it back and sealed it again. Works fine. Of course you have to make sure the pvc joints are sealed but garden hose would work well I would think.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.