• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna elevator question

excavator701

May 23, 2005
looking for info on who builds these antenna elevators that go up and down the side of tower with a hand crank or i think you can even get an electric crank... so you dont have to raise and lower the tower ... can anybody help????

There are some peculiarities with the 'hazers' that you should be aware of. They aren't "super biggies" but they are sort of 'biggies'.
First, adding a 'hazer' will increase the wind area of the tower more than you might believe. That means that you should take a very close look at the tower guying. If you've used non-EHS guys I would suggest changing to the EHS type (good anchors too).
If you have more than one level of guys on your tower you are going to have fun. The top set of guys can be anchored to the 'hazer' it's self (means stronger raise/lower cables!). The mid level guys can be loosed at ground level and the 'hazer' will 'slide' over them on the way up/down. Just guide them to a flat side of the tower. You'll also learn to pick a calm day to do any antenna work - lol.
If your tower won't stand up by it's self on a calm day, don't even think about a 'hazer', you'll be sorry. And if you aren't finished at the end of a day, run the guyed 'hazer' back to the top of the tower and reconnect the other guys (re-tension etc.).
You can make your own 'hazer' but just pay attention to what you use and how. Aluminum is good. Cast iron is bad. Steel can certainly be made to work, but not wood (oh, you could, but lots of problems).
A friend made a 'hazer' for me (steel). Was capable of holding more than my tower could, but didn't get that fanatical about it anyway. They are very nice for us who do not like heights. Sort of odd cuz I'm a pilot too. Just ain't climbing no @#$ towers!
- 'Doc

PS - Without the 'rails' the 'hazer' sort of slides on the tower legs. Not a problem unless you do a lot of up/down stuff. Lots of, or heavy feed lines? Use a support cable hung from the 'hazer' to help with the weight, the longer the better. Can't run them down the inside of the tower...oh well.

W5LZ said:
There are some peculiarities with the 'hazers' They are very nice for us who do not like heights. Sort of odd cuz I'm a pilot too. Just ain't climbing no @#$ towers!
- 'Doc

I've always wondered about that. I won't climb my tower, but I've flown in, or piloted, everything from a J-3 to a DC-3 (fun stick time!) ;) ), to a KC-10 tanker. Sitting at the rear of the tanker in the panorama window at 30,000 feet didn't bother me at all! But I get pretty shy of getting near the edge of my roof! Odd, ain't it! (I LOVE flying, btw!) :D

Most fun you can have in the day time.... with your clothes on.

Had to go to a school at MacConnel AFB. Inspected a '747... got about 4 minutes of left seat time. Crying and screaming didn't help, still had to move...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.