• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Mast - Affordable?

distortion

Jan 1, 2006
atlanta, ga
I'm looking for a mast to support the weight of my i10k. It needs to be at least 8 feet long, as I plan on putting it 3-4 feet out the top of the tree to get the horizontal elements clear of everything. These radio shack masts I have wouldn't even begin to support it, that is for sure. Anybody know of a nice solid thick, but semi-light aluminum type antenna mast that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? If so, where can I get it.

Thanks,
Josh

Peddler said:
10ft stick of black water pipe 1 1/4 in inside dia. Cut to fit, paint to match.

Yeppers,

Something "semi-lite" is probably not going to fit the bill. I ended up using galvanized schedule 80 water pipe 1 1/4 O.D. and over-engineered it by getting a second pipe that fit inside that one for double-walled strength. :shock: They came in stock lengths of 21'. It's guyed as well. ;) Yes, it is heavy, but it is holding up very well to date. 8) home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/102491726UZhluQ?start=12 As you will see, in my first attempt using what I believe was schedule 30 that I got from a scrap pile, didn't handle the approx 70 mph winds we had here one November.

73's :!:

Wayne C.

Interesting.. how much of yours is out of the tree? Is this pipe strong enough to actually raise it higher than a few feet out of the top without bending under a heavy wind and the antenna force.

Will larger than a 1 1/2" fit in the clamps on the i10k? If so, would you recommend say.. 1.5"-2".

Thanks,
Josh

CopyofAntenna3.jpg

21 ft stick of 1 1/4 sch 40 black pipe holding the beam and A99. As you see it's quite a way out of the tower...8ft to the beam and another 4 or 5 to the A99.

distortion said:
Interesting.. how much of yours is out of the tree? Is this pipe strong enough to actually raise it higher than a few feet out of the top without bending under a heavy wind and the antenna force.

Will larger than a 1 1/2" fit in the clamps on the i10k? If so, would you recommend say.. 1.5"-2".

Thanks,
Josh

The radials of my antenna are not totally above the tree. The center of the tree was topped out. The other branches are spread out around the antenna but are not a real threat. These outside branches are actually used as the anchor points for the guys ropes. Info at Jays site indicates that the clamps are 2". So what you need to find is the higher schedule (thicker walled) 2" O.D. pipe for the strength to deal with the stress of possible bending. I wouldn't use anything less than schedule 40.

mine isnt in a tree as you are putting yours..
but i know 10 feet of mast not good enough
i was unable to get a good swr untill i used 15 feet of mast

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.