• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna prices

bob85

Supporting Member
Mar 30, 2005
england
how do you guys feel about antenna prices,
are we expecting too much for our dollar?

over here prices have steadily risen over the past 25-30 years or so but at the top end of cb antennas all that has happened is the antennas have gotten poorer,
30 years ago a regular armco 1/2wave end fed cost £7-10, a 5/8 skipmaster groundplane was £24.99,
the avanti sigma2 was way more expensive than an equivalent copy such as the electronica special,
the sigma4 cost £73.99 while the ham international bigmac cost £110,
today in the uk the most expensive vertical is the sirio 827 or the vector 4000 £70 area and the imax is pretty spendy too,

we cry about at paying over £70 for a cb antenna in 2007 but almost 30 years ago we just bought them,
at the bottom end of the market the 1/2wave sigma/hembro junk are not nearly as well made but they cost 4 times the price we were paying back then for the better made armco,

at the top end the prices are about the same not counting the £110 bigmac but the quality/life expectancy of todays sirios/cte's is rubbish compared to the old antennas,

when you figure inflation/average wages have gone up a whole lot over 30 years why are people reluctant to pay more than they did 30 years ago for a decent antenna,
we cant buy a decent ant here because very few people will pay what they would cost,
no market = no decent antennas for the few that would pay more for something decent,
frustrating YUP for me it is.

i paid a decent price for my Interceptor I-10K
yet is built extremly well (even compared to 30 yr old designs)
and so i was not worried about paying for a top quality and performing antenna

it pays usally to get the best one can
do people really want poor qulity and performing fiberglass stuff

not me

Bob,
After factoring in the inflation thingy, I guess it just depends on the person doing the buying. Maybe with how resourceful (frugal/cheap) that person is. In more years than I want to think about, I've bought a total of 6 or 7 antennas. A couple of them were a pretty good investment cuz I couldn't make them my self. The others were a 'weakness' I couldn't resist for one reason or another. In almost every one of those 'other' cases I found that the cost vs. performance was a disappointment. (I paid ~that~ much for only ~that~ much? Thump - idiot! Thump - idiot! (thump = head against wall)).
I'm afraid I'd rather make the silly things. Not that I make such fabulous antennas, but because the difference in performance just isn't worth the difference in cost. I do have this 'cheap' reputation to maintain, you know!
- 'Doc

antenna cost

Doc. Am I some relation to you???? I have the same reputation to uphold :) You want to look at inflation, check out ebay on some of the old moonraker's and pdl antenna's.I guess I will never own a nos in the box antenna. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.