• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna question from the Netherlands

Hello CB-friends,

In this forum I read a lot about the Maco V58 and the I-10K antenna.
Here in the Netherlands we don't know these antennas.
If you ask in our country: what antenna is the best omnidirectional one, mostly the answer is: Sigma Avanti 4 (or the copy of it: the Sirio Vector 4000)
What do you think: can this antenna "beat" the Maco V58 or the I-10K ??

Greetings from CB station Papa Alpha from the Netherlands (cityname Deventer)

that all depends on a lot more than just the antenna models that you're comparing. in one instance related to the performance of the I-10K i am working with an owner to help him understand why his I-10K is exhibiting resonance around the lower end of our citizens band (26.960) while the minimum swr is showing up far above the top end (27.590) of the same band. they seldom if ever occur at the same exact frequency. if balance, impedance, resonance and pattern are not all taken into account then a real comparison is difficult to come by, even moreso when these values are unknown. variations of these values could yield one set of results in one comparison and another completely different set of results in yet another.

CAN the Siirio Vector 4000 "beat" the Maco V58 or the I-10K?

certainly.

I guess it is like the hare and tortus, and, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

How about all other things being equal?

Maybe it is just splitting hairs?

generally speaking, an antenna doesn't need to be exactly or even approximately resonant to perform well but some lossy feed arrangements may depend on at or near resonance of the radiator to contain total system loss and so achieve acceptable performance.

line loss is the major concern in coaxial fed systems (in contrast to twinlead and open wire lines, antenna/wire and tuner losses) when long, highly attenuative runs are the order of the day.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.