• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Rotators

Hi all,

I have a 3 element Yagi beam, (flatside) I am thinking about buying a rotator, i'm fed up running in and out of the house all the time :thumbdown:

My question is..... will a standard rotator or do I have to get a heavy duty one to turn the yagi, she weighs 4.7kg.

Thanks,

John

It's probably better to go with one of the bell-housing heavier duty style rotors, but a TV antenna rotor such as those sold by Lowes, Menards, RadioShack would be fine under most circumstances with a flatside 3 element for 10/11 meters.

I ran the 70 dollar RadShack one with my vertical 3 element Maco, but I only had it up for about 1 year before I moved and had to take it down and sell it, so I can't say how long it would have lasted...

OK, is that a 3 element yagi for 2 meters, 40 meters, or something in between?

As Highlander said, 3 elements on 10 meters shouldn't overstress a small TV rotor, but anything larger, you should get something that's designed for the application.

The antenna specifications should indicate how much wind load it presents, along with the weight. Use that information when shopping for rotors.

I use 2 platforms in thee mast, with support beearings, yaesu 65 mm
And one for the rotor wich is just one grade up from an channel master.

Turning an 5 element 6 meter beam., an 11 element 2 meter ban, and an 23 element 70 cm beam, all 3 about 17 foot long, on top an X510 of 18 foot length, 4 x 1/2 inch coax too.

Vertical and lateral forces are handled by the support bearings, the rotor only has to turn and brake.

108, that's Scotland, right? Whereabouts? I was just there a couple of weeks ago to check on my mom, she lives in Paisley. I also have folk in Clydebank and Bearsden that I stay with.

Your right Highlander..... I'm on the eastcoast about 40 miles south of Aberdeen, just outside Montrose, I know Paisley and the other towns you mention, worked there a few times.

I hope your a Celtic supporter :)

I'll listen out for you on 555 when we have good conditions again

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.