• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna set up problems

Skater229

Mar 1, 2004
Gtmo, Cuba
www.skater229.com
How long are the straps that you are using? Sometimes if they are too long it can cause issues... The best way around most of the antenna problems is to grab a drill and make the hole... If you are worried about the paint, too late if you are running magnets... Just my .02 but good luck...

small2coil.jpg
</p>

The one going from the mount to the frame is the main one i was asking about... Didn't mean to sound like a smart A__ but most of the problems would go away by hard mounting... As for the roof flex, just use a metal plate inside... Get you some marine 5200 (great stuff) goop it on your plate and slap it up... Prop up a few sticks and keep it in place... If you put pressure on it it will glue better, no more worries about roof flex...

Skater

</p>

If your ground wires going from the mount to the chasis are too long they can act as part of the antenna. That was one of the problems I was having. I ran the ground strap from antenna mount to toolbox (which is just below where I have the mount), then to the frame. One problem I don't have that some others may, my pickemup is not real pretty looking so I can drill without reservation... Have you tried moving the magnet mount to different spots on the roof, you know - forward and back? When I had a magmount ontop of a vehicle, right smack dab in the middle worked the worst, couldn't get the swr down, had to be fairly close to the rear.

Hossless

www.infowars.com

www.prisonplanet.com

www.prisonplanet.tv

<span style="color:gray;font-family:times new roman;font-size:x-large;">LOCK & LOAD</span></p>

i have a 96 nissan pu and i have the whole vehicle grounded i have 4 ground straps on each side of the vehicle on the roof i have a 4 magnet mount for my antenna which i have 2 big ground straps running off it to the chassis also i have tryed 4 different antennas 4 different lenghts of coax i bought a new gumdrop to put on the mount thinking it was that and with the mfj antenna anylizer i cant get any of these things to work where i will resonate@ 50 ohms right now @ 27.205 i am running 1.4@ about 29 ohms and its like that thru the whole band up until about 28.300 my swr drops to 1.2 or 1.3 but the ohms dont differ much. i have also tryed different size stingers with no help deos this sound like i should hard mount it????? i am leary of doing that because the metal roof material of a nissan is very flimsy and would be hard to make an antenna stable????? the reason i am makeing this a big deal is i plan on volting the equipment later on down the road and want to get the swr,s flat and close to 50 ohm as possible thanks for your help if you all can!!!!!!!! i have run out of ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=excavator701>excavator701</A> at: 3/8/05 4:34 am

Yes, that is what freecell is saying, to add length to the antenna below the coil. What kind of antenna is it that you have on the truck right now, and what is the length?

Jeff

<span style="color:eek:range;font-family:helvetica;font-size:large;">RadioActive</span>

20040427_0100_eit_171.gif

</p>

Hello Dan, Tim had to move everything from the old forum to this one, a few things did not convert completey, but it should level off as soon as every one is posting here...
Work in progress.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.