• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Tuner

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
Can anyone tell me what benefit you get from a tuner ? Outside of reading that it "lies" to the transceiver can someone explain it a little more ?

Thanks !

Hey Ron! All I can tell you is that it is a tool. If it is good and within reason it will allow one to use a non-resonant or very reactive antenna.

It is not lying, it is really doing something to effectively attach the radio to the load and work safely.

If you used a post hole digger to help you dig a nice hole instead of using your hands, when you got through would you think that the post hole digger was just lying to you about the nature of the hole you just dug? Naw!

There are others around here that can give you a much better technical explaination, but that is my viewpoint.

Are you planning on installing yourself a really long wire or something?

A lot like a transformer that changes voltages, a tuner changes impedances. A variable impedance transformer. Does a transformer that changes 240 volts to 120 volts 'lie' to whatever you plug into it?
- 'Doc

Thanks Eddie !
I have all my radios running thru an auto tuner. I was just wondering what they actually are doing so I can better understand its function. I know a little bit and I really like to learn a lot more when I can. I don't have a lot of electronic knowledge so I tend to grasp things a little better when explained in simple terms. While typing this I was reminded of one of the best tuters on electronics was found on Freecells sight. It was very simple to someone like me to grasp. In fact I want to go there again and read it all over again. :D So any help would be appreciated. By the way I do have a dipole but never used it with this tuner yet.

Thanks Doc. I should have said what I've read explained that it basically tells the transciever what it wants to "hear". Lie probably wasn't the best word to use.

A tuner, is a good thing if you want to run multi-band radios with the most simple antennas.
I use one to tune a 400+ foot long wire for 10 thru 160.
It is not a GAP muli-band antenna, but it ain`t bad for about 19 bucks worth of wire, I allready had the trees :D

Humm.....I did pay 100+ bucks for the tuner tho....
Oh well, anyway they are a network that uses variable capacitance and inductance to match the output of the radio to the the load that is presented to the output connector at the antenna tuner.
They are very useful.

Jeff

Ok, an illustration. If your SWR is a little high and you adjust the tuner to show it low does it actually clean the signal going out ? I have been told things got better after I tuned by the person listening. The reason I ask is some explanations I've read say that it actually doesn't. But I thought I read somewhere the tuner sort of "absorbs" the poor match.

man i would need a few acres to string up wires if it wern't for my tuner a Mighty Fine Junk 969(which i plan on replacing very soon), with an ldg pro 200. I think the reaso they percieved you to get better after you tuned up was due to the radio being happy and actually put out full power, instead of it being sad (swr) and putting out reduced power. either way you got one good sounding set up out there in the keystone.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.