• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

any info??

bluestallion

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 13, 2008
A neighbor of my dads gave me a base antenna the other day. It says on the base of it its a super big stick. its a 2 piece antenna. has a rubber boot in the middle, and is around 16ft long i think. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this antenna, or have had one similar. It looks to be in really great shape. Thanks

More like the new Sirio Gain Master - than the A99 or IMAX - lol.

But yes; the Super Big Stick worked very well but gave off a lot of common-mode/TVI. Just make an 'ugly balun' (use the search engine on this forum) and it will work quite well for you - so long as you can put it up 35 ft up or more.

Bluestallion -

The Antron 99 ground plane kit will fit this antenna and will give a big increase in performance.

so will the FRANCIS 1/4 wl fiberglass stick,..... the one with the wire that is really 3/4 wl under the 'glass

how much of an increase would it give it? I'm probably going to use this antenna till next spring/summer when i can afford a imax or similar. Is it worth spending the $40 on the gpk??? forgot to ask, i will be using a silvereagle 200 amp. Would this antenna handle it ok??

Last edited:
how much of an increase would it give it? I'm probably going to use this antenna till next spring/summer when i can afford a imax or similar. Is it worth spending the $40 on the gpk???

if ya have to save 'till next summer to be able to buy an IMAX, then, NO don't spend any $$$ on the GPK.

put the thing up and USE it. if ya have a 102 inch whip lying around, then screw it into the top section and see if you notice any difference.

FREE is GOOD;);)

If memory serves me, and sometimes it does, it is a 1/2 wave vertical dipole. The bottom half is the ground side, and sheild for the feed going to the center point.
Rich

well im saving cuz i dont know if i wanna go with the imax or the vector 4000. Cuz will be using for cb now. but going to get into 10meter soon also. Will the vector 4000 do well on 10meter?? thanks

well im saving cuz i dont know if i wanna go with the imax or the vector 4000. Cuz will be using for cb now. but going to get into 10meter soon also. Will the vector 4000 do well on 10meter?? thanks

vector 4000 will work like hell on 10m just like it does on 11m,its probably the best performing antenna there is commonly available, the only problem with it is it doesn't like high winds and has been known to fall apart. not sure if the newer version is any sturdier.

adding an antron gp kit to a bigstick won't work, its nothing like an a99 or imax,
a big stick is a halfwave centre fed dipole, the bottom half has coax running inside from the so239 to the centre where it feeds the top radiator,the bottom half is the bottom half of the dipole, so adding a gp kit will just unbalance it further than it already is by design.

best thing you can do to it is add a coax choke at the base directly below the so239 otherwise the coax will radiate and cause rfi and disturb the radiation pattern.

it would need to withstand few high winds where i live. Im on a slight hill in the open in southern IN. If anyone knows if it will let me know. thanks

I had and used one back in the day - when they were new.
Depends on how strong the winds are - I guess. Should be OK.
It did throw off some TVI as I recall. Just make a simple RF choke for it as suggested, and it will probably work better than the one I had that didn't have the choke.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.