• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

anyone ever done this????

wrong way

Dec 3, 2008
columbus ohio
I have a 1x4 fatboy and run 8 gauge power wire even though all you guys told me I shouldnt but that's all I had. thats what the place that sold me the amp sent me to install, so $ was tight figured I could make it work 4 a while and I must say you were all right.
Tonight I was on the key pretty heavy for about an hour and after that time I smelled something burning....so I shut the amp off immediately and started feeling around. My 8 guage wire was like over cooked spagghetti..
So.........my question is this????
Since I have 8 guage wire running out the back of the amp (factory wire) and I plan to upgrade to 4 guage welding cable (only $1.50 ft) do I need to do away with the 8 guage factory wire and run the 4 guage all the way into the amp??? Is this something I can do with limited experience?? OR.......is it even necessary???

Thanks for any advice
Wrong Way

I have a 1x4 fatboy and run 8 gauge power wire even though all you guys told me I shouldnt but that's all I had. thats what the place that sold me the amp sent me to install, so $ was tight figured I could make it work 4 a while and I must say you were all right.
Tonight I was on the key pretty heavy for about an hour and after that time I smelled something burning....so I shut the amp off immediately and started feeling around. My 8 guage wire was like over cooked spagghetti..
So.........my question is this????
Since I have 8 guage wire running out the back of the amp (factory wire) and I plan to upgrade to 4 guage welding cable (only $1.50 ft) do I need to do away with the 8 guage factory wire and run the 4 guage all the way into the amp??? Is this something I can do with limited experience?? OR.......is it even necessary???

Thanks for any advice
Wrong Way
Yes the cable out of the amp is fine because the run of it is so short, 4 gauge from there to the battery will be fine and many add a suitable fuse at the battery as a safety precaution in case the 4 gauge happens to short out.
That clear coat cable you get at the audio center is good for audio amps but not for the amount of current an rf amp draws.

Whew, good thing you did not burn your ride down. Like Mack said, #8 out the back of the amp is actually very good. The reason it's ok is it's a very short run, like 18" or less. Stick at least an 80 and probably 100 amp fuse right at the battery with your new heavier gage wire.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.