• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone in the Grand Rapids MI area?

SloNEZ

Upwardly Mobile
Mar 23, 2010
Grand Rapids MI
I've got high SWR and don't know what to do.
I did get it down below 3 by moving the fire ring connector I'm using.
I didn't have it seated square in the mount, and I think it might have been shorting.
Still can't get it below 2, though.

I'll buy beer and dinner for anyone that can help me out!
I'm also willing to drive an hour or two to get this done.

Thanks!
-Slo

cpdonweb@aol.com

Welcome to the forum!
You can always find the nearest truck stop in your area and find out if there isn't a radio shop nearby. There usually are if you look and ask. Probably get it fixed faster this way and cost as much as dinner will...

There is one close to me at the truck stop by Holland ... he won't touch amps, though.
Plus, I like to meet people!
I'm also working during the day when he's open, and I'm leaving on a trip to Florida early Friday morning. I'd sure like to have the set working for that drive, tell you what.

If I was a little closer I could help ya out. I am prolly 60 miles North of ya. Might be a little more, cant member. I am in a little town called Walhalla about 20 miles East of Ludington right on U.S. 10

There is one close to me at the truck stop by Holland ... he won't touch amps, though.
Plus, I like to meet people!
I'm also working during the day when he's open, and I'm leaving on a trip to Florida early Friday morning. I'd sure like to have the set working for that drive, tell you what.

Are you checking the swr with the amp on or off? if you're checking it with the amp on then you're doing it all wrong. Check it with just the radio turned on and if you get it below 1.7:1 you'll be fine.

I've got high SWR and don't know what to do.
I did get it down below 3 by moving the fire ring connector I'm using.
I didn't have it seated square in the mount, and I think it might have been shorting.

Still can't get it below 2, though.

I'll buy beer and dinner for anyone that can help me out!
I'm also willing to drive an hour or two to get this done.

Thanks!
-Slo

cpdonweb@aol.com

Best way to figure this out is check the fire ring with an VOLT/OHM meter and see if there is any contact between the center conductor and the shield of the coax and if so you've found your problem.

Make sure when you check the coax that it is not connected on either end and just check across the center and shield for a problem.

Then check the center conductor and shield end to end separately for no contact which will give a high swr also which is an open circuit.

Basically nothing.
He checked for continuity/opens at all the points and moved the stinger up about half an inch.
It was set up good as we had it.
It's reflecting about 1w with the amp on.
Not too shabby.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.