• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone know what this is??

freecell said:
yep, HyGain CLR2 or RS knockoff. be careful as it has a printed circuit board shunt matching coil and won't handle much over 100W. the vertical element should measure 19' 10 3/4" and you might want to double check the length if you're having swr problems. the vertical element appears to be a little short though it's difficult to tell from that angle. if: "SWR is 2.1 on channel 20 and gets lower above 40" then it's too short.

between the years of 68 - 70 i worked all 50 states using one of those at 40 feet to the feed with a 40 CH. RS Navaho Base and no amplifier. my first experience and one of my most memorable.

WooPs took the galaxy350 out of line with the 3foot jumper
and now my SWR's around the band is 1.5 or lower:LOL:
hmmm wondering if i should use a antenna matcher with the amp?

Fix the ground plane radial, first. You've got an impedance issue, or the coax length would not matter. I used a CLR-2 back in the late 60's, or early 70's and never had any matching problems with it.

Rich

lords said:
so your saying that broken(half there) ground plane radial
is causing the Swr's to stay high?
I am saying that your experience is typical of an impedance problem and that the missing radial could be the problem. Fix it first, then do more checking. If you have a real problem, changing coax length, or using a tuner could mask the problem and not improve performance.

lords said:
and would it matter if there is a 10inch piece of coax wrapped(like a choke)around the support mass just below the antenna base, grounded to the coax ground wouldn't do this?
Not sure what you are talking about, here. Is it wrapped tightly around the mast for 10 inches, or is it 10 inches of coax wrapped 3-4 times around the mast? How is it grounded?

Rich

Hamin' X said:
lords said:
so your saying that broken(half there) ground plane radial
is causing the Swr's to stay high?
I am saying that your experience is typical of an impedance problem and that the missing radial could be the problem. Fix it first, then do more checking. If you have a real problem, changing coax length, or using a tuner could mask the problem
Rich

ok, going out today to look for this ground radial.
I was taking this antenna as a radio shack
super-maxim CAT NO 21-902 1/2 wave antenna
I will verify this when I take it back down and measure the
Overall Height of the Radiator!
(Speaking of that, measure the top of the radial to the what??)
Whats making me think this is a true CLR2 is the the radio shack Ground Radials are 1 piece and i see the CLR2 and this antenna are 2 pieces at 9' which by the way the 2 sections are pressed together not screwed together like the main radiator Rods!

if it is 1/2 wave, i will add a new section to the top
bringing it to a total of 19' 10 inches..Just wondering!( were did someone in this post come up with the extra 3/4??? i don't get it.. all i see is when i look around the internet is 9' 10".

also when i do get the 3 ground radials back up ,i am going to add a tightly strung copper wire around all 3 to cause a rejection from the bottom...will this be wise??
I mean i am going to check this anyway,just needed input on this(kind of like a rejection on a beam)..

now final Question!
is it better to tightly wrap a 10 inch coax around the mast pipe
for TVI,(grounded to the pl-259 ground on the feed coax?) (i do have 2 TVI filters i can use ,if necessary)or can i just wrap a section (like a choke at the bottom of the antenna,like 4, 6" circles then taped and hanging under the pl-259 connector)?

thanks and let me know..
Course if my coax don't come in today,. me not doing nothing yet.
Me being 45 years old and on a 30" icy roof (20F out here now)hanging on a chimney,unbolting 2 bolts that hold the 15 foot mass in place lifting the whole antenna out (while doing the lets balance it act) of the inter part of this unused chimney(theres and old water pipe coming out of it thats been there for years,don't know why but its very stable)
don't make this easy for me!!!!!!!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.