• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

..Anyone Specialize in Galax Saturn Exports..

Dustin

Apr 23, 2009
Dear Friends: I am new to the CB World and and have lots to learn.Sadly I think I learned my first 400 Dollar Mistake.You see I am in the works for a ham licence.I also want to use CB, Well to make this story short(but not sweet)I purchased an "Export" Galaxy Saturn.I did get a Dossy 4000 meter, Amtron A-99 Antenna, 10 pl-259 connectors, 18 feet of cheap RG-8 cable and a RadioShack swr meter that came with it,I paid 400.00 Dollars(( I Know I was stupid&Impatient)).The radio does have issues, Reception Meter light Burned out/ Sometimes a constant whistle Begins when I plug it in to wall socket/When I transmit Modulation is shot but carries well/.It's in great need of a good peak&tune+ Alignments and possibly the Transmitter replaced..I am guessing!! you are the Techs I hope I can trust..I really do not know if this is worth the repairs (I am so disgusted at the moment)..Could you advise me a little.The exterior looks fairly well considering its age ..I would be greatful for any help ((very little info online with this CB mode)) .I Live in Chattanooga Tennessee.My Friend I am sorry for the long post,I have no where and no one to go to in my area for help on this matter.I have been Taken Advantage of and fear a second go around.... I am desperate to find a tech+CB Store I can trust, Go to with all my radio needs someone I can get all my gear from and Hopefully become proficient ..Many Thanks in advance Have a nice day..

A cheap piece of coax is no way to judge the quality of your radio. Throw away that junk coax after you get a good piece of coax - like Times/Microwave LMR240 @ $.70/ft. Measure the distance between the radio and the antenna feed point CAREFULLY. Buy what you need - just don't get too much or too little! Make you antenna as high and as secure as you can - 36 feet from the ground to the antenna feed point is optimal. Higher is better still - but is it secure in a high wind? Make sure it is safely and securely mounted.

After you get the coax/antenna situation handled - THEN judge how well your radio works. Once the SWR has been found to be acceptable (1.5 to 1 - or less), run the coax straight into the back of the radio. If your SWR is 3 to 1 or worse, don't even bother to transmit on it. YOU WILL BURN OUT THE OUTPUT FINALS!!! Then, it will have to be put in the shop. Now, if your radio isn't permitting good receive/transmit AFTER you made the antenna/coax system correct - then you may have a legitimate problem with the radio. The radio you have is an exceptionally good one, so eliminate any other problem before you say the radio is at fault.

The meter light is no big deal; I replace my own for less than a buck.
Be more specific about the whistling problem.
Does it happen on every channel? IS there anything in your house that could be making electro magnetic interference? Lots of household appliances can do this: the refrigerator, air conditioner, hair dryer, clothes dryer, etc... You have a NB ('nose blanketer') switch on the radio; does it help when switched on? You might have an ANL ('automatic noise limiter') switch as well - any difference when 'on'? Are your radio and antenna grounded? Is the whistle ALWAYS there - or does it happen at certain times of the day? Finding and figuring out noise sources befuddles all of us at one time or another. Investigate and experiment to find those sources of noise!

Last edited:
buy more coax than you think you need . would suck to come up a few feet short . if you have extra make jumpers out of it .

Given your location I would contact Doug at CBR, Custom CB Radio. He is a very sharp guy and located in Terre Haute,In. I am sorry to hear of your problems, plenty of research is always in order before any money is spent. Good luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.