• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone AT6666 experimental OP amp upgrade/replacement.

Kristopher burt

Oct 27, 2020
Antioch, Illinois
Just curious if anyone has replaced one or both of the op amps that are in the Anytone for an upgrade or better audio while transmitting? It has two 4558s. I have heard that 4580s would be an upgrade but curious if anyone has tried any upgrades to the op amp in their own 6666. Hifi mods/capacitor change outs done. Just looking for a little more fun out of it. Before attempting it semi blindly.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Every Anytone I've heard on air has excellent audio. I get many comments on how clear my Q5n & Q5n2 sound. What's to upgrade?
I guess I'm the person who likes to tinker and experiment. I'm into good clean audio and your right, the Anytones are nice and clean. But when you can make them better...why not. When I first got the q6 it was nice. There are midfi/hifi mods for it that I found with the help of this forum and it sounds so much better after replacing the parts that were suggested. I may be at the limit of internal part upgrades so I'm just asking others.

I guess I'm the person who likes to tinker and experiment. I'm into good clean audio and your right, the Anytones are nice and clean. But when you can make them better...why not. When I first got the q6 it was nice. There are midfi/hifi mods for it that I found with the help of this forum and it sounds so much better after replacing the parts that were suggested. I may be at the limit of internal part upgrades so I'm just asking others.
Not worth the effort, the change is so minute its barely noticeable. This has been discussed before a lot. One of those recurring topics that happen every new wave of people. 4558's purpose is to take mic level audio to line level for the modulator section

Not worth the effort, the change is so minute its barely noticeable. This has been discussed before a lot. One of those recurring topics that happen every new wave of people. 4558's purpose is to take mic level audio to line level for the modulator section
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
Update on OP amp upgrades. So I did replace both op amps with two 4580's to replace the 4558's. If you plan on just running this radio right out of the box, this radio will sound just fine and no need to change anything. But if you like to experiment go for it. So with my set up I could never get the high pitched sounds clean enough or the sibilance clear sounding and not muddy for my ears anyway. This was the fix for that. The audio clarity from the 4558 to the 4580 is a big improvement for the clarity of the audio. As other people have mentioned, this change by itself doesn't do much for the audio if the operator is running just the radio, but I noticed the difference. With the other hifi mods done to this chassis this upgrade was the icing. Even with the stock mic attached it has a cleaner sibilance. With rack units and a nice microphone it's hard to beat. Have Fun experimenting!

Attachments

• IMG_20230317_213839706.jpg
    IMG_20230317_213839706.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I am also inclined to tinker on my older and more road worn equipment but it would take a lot of convincing to make me swop out one op amp for another. The frequency response of the JRC4558 isn't any worse than the 4580, especially considering the radio only uses the 300Hz to 3kHz range for modulation and demodulation to keep the bandwidth usage low. In fact the 4558 enjoys a reputation as a very musical sounding op amp. It's used in guitar effect pedals and audio equipment all the time because of its remarkably good slewing rate and rapid recovery from being driven to saturation.

All that said, if the mod makes you enjoy your CB even more then rock on, brother!!

Reactions: Kristopher burt
I am also inclined to tinker on my older and more road worn equipment but it would take a lot of convincing to make me swop out one op amp for another. The frequency response of the JRC4558 isn't any worse than the 4580, especially considering the radio only uses the 300Hz to 3kHz range for modulation and demodulation to keep the bandwidth usage low. In fact the 4558 enjoys a reputation as a very musical sounding op amp. It's used in guitar effect pedals and audio equipment all the time because of its remarkably good slewing rate and rapid recovery from being driven to saturation.

All that said, if the mod makes you enjoy your CB even more then rock on, brother!!
I so appreciate your response and it sounds like you know a lot about electronic components. The 4580s did improve the audio quality. The op amps were the last thing replaced and normally I wouldn't consider even touching them. But it immensely improved the sibilance. Dummy load testing and another radio receiver with headphones made the results easy to hear. My thoughts are because this radio will only be operating on the CB band and not the ham frequencies, as long as I am not disturbing other conversations, experimenting is fair game. The goal with my tinkering is to not be in the bandwidth 300-3khz. I have changed out approximately 10 other components including the two op amps. The components help to widen the passband or widen the frequency response that is transmitted. I use a good voice microphone and multiple rack units to shape the audio before going into the radio. The end result is much wider than what you would normally hear on the AM band. music to my ears and so much easier to listen to on the other end. No one has told me they don't like a good sounding radio and that keeps me wanting more.That aside, If I can hear people using FT8 and sstv signals on that band, experimenting with audio is a drop in the bucket. It was a couple of dollars with of parts and the hot air wand made the rework a breeze. (First time soldering smt components.)

I have the q6 and the 9900,both work great right out of the both. Both radio have never had the covers off.
I enabled 11 meters and added a power mic and get good reports from everyone I've talked to.
This is my first Q6. It is a good stable chassis from what I have heard and what I am experiencing. Hard to get good radios out of the box anymore. I may purchase another. Even the stock mic works well for the Q6, most radios that's the first thing to dispose of. Cheers.

I so appreciate your response and ........ The goal with my tinkering is to not be in the bandwidth 300-3khz. I have changed out approximately 10 other components including the two op amps. The components help to widen the passband or widen the frequency response that is transmitted....
OK got ya. I'd like to hear what that sounds like. Sadly I am over the pond, in France, so that would be skip and timing dependant.

I have the CRT SS6900N (Same as the Anytone AT-5555 PLUS). The only complaint I have is that the OEM Microphone is sub-par by several notches. It sounds cheap and fails often. I'm not even sure where it is anymore..

Reactions: Kristopher burt
OK got ya. I'd like to hear what that sounds like. Sadly I am over the pond, in France, so that would be skip and timing dependant.

I have the CRT SS6900N (Same as the Anytone AT-5555 PLUS). The only complaint I have is that the OEM Microphone is sub-par by several notches. It sounds cheap and fails often. I'm not even sure where it is anymore..
I had some spare time and I decided to record a sample of the audio from my Q6. This was recorded through websdr.
View attachment websdr_recording_2023-03-24T22_36_32Z_27500.0kHz (2).wav
I don't have a reference recording like a before and after so maybe this just sounds like a normal cb radio to everyone.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.