• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Apollo amp relay pops!

nomadradio yes that is the picture of bottom of amp and it only has 1 relay. I was just wondering since one contact point out of the 3 is I believe switching the high voltage got that from an earlier comment could I add another relay beside that one and hook it so high voltage goes thru all three contact points so to give it more contact and possibly reduce pop or spark??? The relay would key at same time as the one in it now. As you can tell I am not an electric wiz but have been with yours and others help fixed quite a few amplifiers. I really like this one really put out more pep than my 10-tube phantom but with a snap, crackle and pop. LOL Thanks

Naysayer I put amp back on shelf for a cooling off period for myself and working on old radio right now but I will get amp back off shelf and look at what kind if get any more ideas on what to do. It is a smaller type of relay but with flat style contacts on it. I took them partially apart and cleaned contact points which had burnt spot in middle of contact but were flat. Thanks

There are 2 relays.
The HV one looks like there are 3 leaves, but they are attached to a shorting bar that connects to 2 contacts and turns on the HV. Its a SPNO relay
LINK you'll have to read the coil to see what votage it is and the ohms

6+Volt+DC+SPNO+Relay+29+Ohm+Coil_L.jpg

There might be a timing issue where to hv hits after the other relay closes. I think the HV should hit first, then the antenna relay next so its not hot switching.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
357 thank you I will try to check it and watch relays see if i can tell if closing properly. I have it on shelf will be done with old radio I am cleaning up then give it another try. Earlier I made a comment one relay i forgot the antenna relay. sorry guys. This is a really nice old amp and would like to get it working properly so I can put Phantom on shelf. I will also take a picture of relay in amp and post. Thank you .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated