• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic 575m6 help needed

Dan7667

Jan 21, 2006
Wallingford, CT
Got the mic working, but now need help. Am running a RadioActive General Lee, and have been using a TT RK 56, and have set mic gain @ 100%, and getting excellent radio checks.
Now with the 575-m6, I have the mic gain on the radio at 50% (12 o'clock), and the Astatic @ 50% power & 50% tone. Have noticed a drop in power readings (RK56 @ 16 watts, 575 m-6 @ 12 watts) and am getting lousy radio checks.
Any recommendations on settings on either the radio and/or mic?
Thanks in advance
Dan

could be the wackpack mumbo jumbo. but in my opinion the road king is a better mic. and the power readings you are seeing is that peak readings if so it has not been tuned and aligned

Dan7667 said:
Got the mic working, but now need help. Am running a RadioActive General Lee, and have been using a TT RK 56, and have set mic gain @ 100%, and getting excellent radio checks.
Now with the 575-m6, I have the mic gain on the radio at 50% (12 o'clock), and the Astatic @ 50% power & 50% tone. Have noticed a drop in power readings (RK56 @ 16 watts, 575 m-6 @ 12 watts) and am getting lousy radio checks.
Thanks in advance
Dan

I have the same Mic. Set the power and Tone about a 1/4 inch off the bottom of the mic. Set the radio mic gain at 2:00. You want more radio mic gain. That way you save on the battery and your not over driving the audio.. Hope this will help you.. The 575M6 is a great mic ..

667 chicago mobile said:
Dan7667 said:
Thanks in advance
Dan

I have the same Mic. Set the power and Tone about a 1/4 inch off the bottom of the mic. Set the radio mic gain at 2:00. You want more radio mic gain. That way you save on the battery and your not over driving the audio.. Hope this will help you.. The 575M6 is a great mic ..

Agreed! The Astatic mics have a crisper tone to them.Turn down the mic gain settings even more!
It seems your overdriving a radio set to its peak performance!
What happens when you turn the mic power AND mic gain even further down?

That radios audio circuit may be tuned more for the lower tone of the 56k. The astatic having a higher pitch tone may not drive it as hard. You may change a cap it the audio circuit and adjust the tone to match the mike input.

UPDATE:
Read several great posts in a couple of different forums, and have found that radio mic gain at 75% (3 oclock) & Astatic gain at 10% has made a huge difference...really proud radio again showing 18-20 watts on the MTA-20.
Thanks to all for the help, and I'll be
10-10
Dan

why could you run a rk 56 at full bore on your radio without problems or feedback ? ......because of the way your radio has been tuned !! Its' not a power driven mic.Wack Pack tuned kind of sounds like a swing kit / npc type of a deal ? IM guessing here ? ......those types of tunes tend to work best and or sound best with NC and stock microphones !! audio tends to be totally off the scale with those types of mods on the AM side of things. If you truly want to run a driving power mic ,your going to have to turn things way down one way or the other. When guys seem to think there not being heard because they have everything turned down is totally far from the truth , YOU ARE !!! ......good to hear you figured out your settings for the best performance you could get.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.