• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Atas-120a good or not

f-250ford

Apr 3, 2008
Does any one run one on there mobile I want to run it on my Ft-857d I looked on Eham and they only get a 3.5. What are you guys running

I would go for an antenna by Hi-Q or Tarheel, or one of the others. HI-Q makes a small sized antenna now, which would be my choice. BTW, I own a big HI-Q, so I'm biased...but it really is a much more efficient antenna than any of the ATAS line. And the customer service is second to none. I've had mine back for repairs several times at no cost to me. Don't read that like the antenna is a failure...I'm hard on mine since I go offroading and really abuse it and mine is an early model before they ruggedized it.

f-250ford,
Oh man, it's one'a them days. Had a really brilliant post going, stopped to do a search to make sure I was right about a couple of things, came back and it was gone. Rats!

To make it short and sweet, since I can't remember exactly what all that 'brilliance' was now, if you're looking at a new 'Atas' antenna, do yourself a favor and check out a few of the other similar antennas. There really is/are better choices.
Having the 'best' mobile antenna around isn't all it's cracked up to be. There are always compromises. The 'trick' is determining which of those 'compromises' you're willing to put up with.
I'm not the biggest screwdriver antenna fan in the world. I have one and I'm satisfied with it. It isn't the 'best' HF mobile antenna, but then, it's sure more convenient than the 'best' one (still got that 'best' one, it's just a Royal P.I.T.A. to use, and NO, it isn't for sale, well, maybe ($)($) ).
Good luck with whatever you decide.
- 'Doc

Besides, who'd want something with "AES" in the middle of it? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Thanx for the info I'm new to this hf stuff and there is alot of antennas out I guess it is like every thing you have to buy and play to see what you like

I had an Atas-120, used it with my Ft-100D, it worked well for about 5 years, no issues (that is in Canadian winters with lots of salt on the road and crap).

I just recently switch to a Icom IC-7000 and use a Little Tarheel II, and I have to say the Little Tarheel II kicks the Atas's butt. It will also do 80m's which the Atas won't. I've used both the standard 32" and 56" whips with it, the 56" gives you a little more gain.

I suggest go with the Tarheel II.

I had an ATAS 120A and it was junk, you most likely read my review on eham?

Everytime it rained the antenna would stop moving/tuning.

Junk in my opinion

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.